Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browsing problems

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 cookies67

cookies67

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:05 PM

I search with Google Chrome.The down arrow on the bottom right hand side is hidden.The task bar at the bottom seems to be higher than usual.How can that be fixed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:00 PM

Try this and let me know if it works.  Right click on the task bar and uncheck "lock the taskbar". Go to the edge of the taskbar until your pointer changes to a line with an arrow on each end.  Hold left click and drag down. Let go and right click to recheck "lock taskbar". 

Edited by MarkMCS, 14 May 2015 - 05:01 PM.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#3 cookies67

cookies67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:08 PM

Nope it did not work.

#4 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:16 PM

when you unlock your taskbar and go to the edge of it, you should be able to hold the left mouse button and drag the task bar up and down (making it bigger and smaller.  are you able to do this?

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#5 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:26 PM

Restart your computer and get back to me if the issue is still the same.  I will ask you then about recent installs or changes.

#6 cookies67

cookies67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:53 PM

I tried to drag down the arrows and it did not work.That has worked in the past.

#7 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:21 PM

Have you restarted your computer, Cookie?  I would like you download Minitoolbox at: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/  I will be back in a few moments with instructions. In the meantime, please think about any changes or installs you've recently made...but don't worry, we will sort it out. I would also like you to download CCleaner from this site only. https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard.  Don't run anything yet.

#8 cookies67

cookies67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:29 PM

Yes,I have restarted my computer.I recently installed malwarebytes but I was having this problem before that.

When I downloaded that program Avast came on and said they got rid of a harmful program.What is that all about?

Where is CCleaner on this site?

Edited by cookies67, 14 May 2015 - 06:34 PM.

#9 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:42 PM

If you are running 2 realtime antivirus/antimalware programs at the same time it can cause a conflict.  These days, there is more compatibility, but to be on the safe side the best thing to do is have one full time antivirus/antimalware and maybe an anti exploit running and have a couple of on demand scanners because no program will detect all malware.  As for Avast...What program did it say it got rid of, and did you purchase Malwarebytes or download the free version??

Edited by MarkMCS, 14 May 2015 - 06:43 PM.

#10 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:49 PM

Now Cookie, I would like you to move Minitoolbox to your desktop double click it and check the boxes in this image...

Minitoolbox_zpsiq8rebod.jpg

Click Go..and once it has finished, you can copy and paste the results into your next reply.  The results will be on the desktop in a file called result.txt

Edited by MarkMCS, 14 May 2015 - 06:50 PM.

#11 cookies67

cookies67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:52 PM

How do I move it to my desktop?I am a novice with limited knowledge of this computer stuff and what will this do for me?I have one antivirus and one antimalware program on my computer.I also have Defrag 3.

Edited by cookies67, 14 May 2015 - 06:53 PM.

#12 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:04 PM

The way to move a file or folder from one place to another is as follows... you click once to highlight the item, then go up and click 'edit' in the menu bar. (NOTE: If menu bar isn't showing, you press F10 and it will pop up. You can make it always show in 'folder options' by checking the box also)  Once you have clicked EDIT you go down to 'move to folder' and you navigate to where you want to put the item. click ok and you're done.   You can also choose COPY TO FOLDER if you want a duplicate in a second location.   

When you run Minitoolbox, the results will be created in the same location that the program is located.

#13 cookies67

cookies67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:33 PM

I am sorry I can not find the menu bar.I tried just what you said and the nothing popped up.Maybe I will just deal with having no arrow.This is too complicated for me.Thanks anyway.

#14 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:34 PM

Well if you have MBAM Paid version and AVAST running together, they may very well cause conflict and interfere with each other, which is why it is recommended NOT TO HAVE more than one antivirus running at the same time.  Antimalware and Antivirus are not mutually exclusive.  There is a great deal of overlap.

back to your original screen issue, I'm just tring toi figure out why you've lost your down arrow and why your taskbar is too big. If it's not a resolution issue it could be a driver or something you installed recently. just trying to rule out possibilities.  It's your choice if you want to explore them.

#15 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:38 PM

Cookie, press F10 and the menu bar will show up across the top. it will say "FILE....EDIT.....VIEW.....TOOLS......HELP.      It will be in any folder you open, like pictures, documents, music...etc

Maybe I wasn't clear...You won't find it in Chrome...only in your computer's folders!  sorry for the misunderstanding.

Edited by MarkMCS, 14 May 2015 - 07:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users