Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS kills widget?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stasplayer

stasplayer

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:31 AM

On 5/13/2015 my accuweather desktop widget stopped working correctly. It cannot get to its server for the info. This happened after a Win 7 update. Any thoughts?

Stan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:31 AM

Hi stasplayer :)

You are right, Microsoft disabled the usage of widgets in a Security Update, since these could be exploited to compromise a system, so now widgets using an Internet connection won't work anymore. See the link below, the reply of Kousik Adhikary.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/weather-gadget-not-working-cannot-connect-to/6707d8b4-1a37-4412-a609-5677c9b99a7a?page=1

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:12 PM

I used to use that widget. When Microsoft discontinued them, I replaced it with one from The Weather Network website mainly because it's a Canadian network. But I'm sure Accuweather has a widget on their website too.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:59 PM

If it's a desktop application and not a widget, it'll work. I think The Weather Network offers a desktop application and not a "widget", hence why it works since it can connect to the Internet and load the updates from there, while widgets got this feature removed.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users