Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Box for Windows Office

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:34 AM

Hey guys, I am trying to create and share documents with co-workers.  As you know there are some issues doing this with LibreOffice and have run into a few recently.  I am wondering if I can run a windows os in VirtualBox and use Word that way.  I know about Wine but it don't sound so great and perhaps a security risk.

Is Word a separate program and not included in any Windows Disk/iso, or do some OS's come with it pre-installed so that it could be run via Virtualbox?  I think it would be much easier this way then trying to share files between the two.  Simple Word docs not so bad, but Excel and Scans I have had issues with.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Digital_Veil

Digital_Veil

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:41 AM

Hey pcpunk,

I think Office Online is what you are looking for. It is completely free and allows you to manage, create, edit office files online. It runs inside the browser so it should do good on Linux as well. And alternative would be Google Docs. Check that out as well.

Edited by Digital_Veil, 14 May 2015 - 02:43 AM.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,872 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:00 AM

Digital_Veil, Thanks I'm on it, hope this works out for me!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:53 AM

If that does not work and you have a copy of Windows handy, then yes you could run a VirtualBox and download Office 2016 preview for free. It is only a temporary fix because the preview is only free for 180 days.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:54 AM

you have the online office suite that comes with Hotmail...which i guess will be pretty compatible with Office... and Zoho docs is another online suite that people have told me about

you Could try installing Kingsoft Office ( WPS OFFICE i think is its new name) its basiclly a chinese copy of MS office....http://www.ksosoft.com/what-is-new-in-kingsoft-office-free-2013.html and supposed to be very compatible  with Docx etc

It's in my Repos  so probably it will be in a Ubongo derivative ..maybe PPAs ...

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,872 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:24 PM

If that does not work and you have a copy of Windows handy, then yes you could run a VirtualBox and download Office 2016 preview for free. It is only a temporary fix because the preview is only free for 180 days.

This sounds good Rocky as I am comfortable with windows.  180 days for free sounds pretty good to me lol.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,872 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:27 PM

you have the online office suite that comes with Hotmail...which i guess will be pretty compatible with Office... and Zoho docs is another online suite that people have told me about

you Could try installing Kingsoft Office ( WPS OFFICE i think is its new name) its basiclly a chinese copy of MS office....http://www.ksosoft.com/what-is-new-in-kingsoft-office-free-2013.html and supposed to be very compatible  with Docx etc

It's in my Repos  so probably it will be in a Ubongo derivative ..maybe PPAs ...

Gunna try to stick with windows shadow nothing is better at this point for me.  LibreOffice is giving me more headaches than most other linux software.  Probably really good for those really technical folks that use it a lot in other parts of the world but not for me. 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,872 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:45 PM

Rocky, is this possible anywhere with XP?  I will look, but I'm guessing that it is to old to run a current MSO.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 02:10 PM

Rocky, is this possible anywhere with XP?  I will look, but I'm guessing that it is to old to run a current MSO.

Could not find anything on the Microsoft website, but according to Cnet you need at least Windows 7.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,872 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:58 PM

I'm still working on it, thanks.  Seems it is possible but won't be easy.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:18 AM

If you have a Google account pcpunk I would try out the Google Docs. It's so easy to use and can be saved locally in a .docx format. And everything is saved to your Google account cloud so you won't lose anything, which is nice (I used it a couple times when writing papers in College).

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,872 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:48 PM

If you have a Google account pcpunk I would try out the Google Docs. It's so easy to use and can be saved locally in a .docx format. And everything is saved to your Google account cloud so you won't lose anything, which is nice (I used it a couple times when writing papers in College).

I'll take a look.  The best thing so far is LibreOffice but I am going to experiment with some stuff if my co-worker is willing to keep it up.  I already got a document that he likes but want to keep looking into this stuff.  Office Online worked okay but I need to go back and do some more work with it, maybe tonight.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users