Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox 37.02 says "up to date" but version 38 is now available

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:24 AM

Version 38 is known as available and people are taking the update  (Firefox browser).  My version 37.02 is telling me upon clicking the "Check for Update" button, that Firefox is up-to-date, but I know this must be wrong.  Anything I can do to make Firefox understand that I want it to do its updating to the latest version NOW?

I found no information from Mozilla saying that any machine restrictions as to portable or desktop, and certainly W Vista should still be supported.

Windows Vista on laptop/Toshiba.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:16 AM

Read THIS  topic before updating....so you are aware of the latest "addition" to the new version of firefox....

If you wish to opt out .....

Disable the Adobe Primetime CDM without uninstalling

Disabling Adobe Primetime from the Add-ons Manager prevents it from running on your computer and prevents future updates from downloading. To disable the CDM plugin:

1. Click the menu button and choose Add-ons. The Add-ons Manager tab will open.

2. In the Add-ons Manager tab, select the Plugins panel.
  3. Select Never Activate on the menu next to Adobe Primetime DRM.

Opt out of CDM playback, uninstall CDMs and stop all CDM downloads

You have the choice to globally opt out of HTML5 DRM playback. Once you opt out, Firefox will delete any downloaded CDMs from your hard drive, cease all future CDM downloads and disable DRM playback. This affects only DRM-controlled HTML5 audio and video. To opt out of HTML5 DRM playback completely, follow these steps:

1. Click the menu button and choose Options.

2. Click the Content panel.
  3. Remove the check mark next to Play DRM content.

To change update options for Firefox....

Click on the menu 'button" for firefox....three horizontal lines in the upper right hand corner of your browser page...

Then click on Options......then Advanced ....

Select what you want firefox to do....update automatically etc etc

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 Kikig04

Kikig04

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:18 AM

I had the same issue- Go to Tools on your menus bar, then go to Add-ons, go to plug-ins and there click on "Check to see if your plug-ins are up to date" there you will find a Green Tab stating that you should update your Firefox- Or that your Firefox is not updated, something along those lines.

After you have updated Firefox go to your Extentions and there will be an added extention after the update called "Primetime Content blah blah blah- You can disable if you'd like or ask to never actavate it- I did a lil research and it's safe to do so... Good Luck 

#4 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:54 PM

Too confusing!  The browser should not handle other files on the computer on its own.  Either it should display a webpage of file on the computer, or on website remote from the computer, or not.  Not sure if to update to v 38 or not; not sure if to make the options changes or not; not want to be unable to view html5 videos, still not want to rely only on adobe flash player.  Not want the browser to decide what I can view and what I cannot view.

Currently, on my own computer, videos are html5 if possible; otherwise the adobe flash player will run the videos.  That is for version 37, Windows Vista, laptop computer connected wifi to internet.  No need to worry about DRM or CDM.  Things just work.

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:22 AM

Checking for possible updates again through Firefox 37.02, the button for Update to v 38.0.1 was available; so I clicked it, and let the download & install process run.

Now version 38.0.1 of Firefox is installed as update.  Interesting also, later, while using the browser, information captions at the lower right task tray showed two new files came to the computer:  gmpopenh264.dll of 652 kilobytes, and eme-adobe.dll of 5771 kilobytes.

No have I any idea what these files mean,do, or what the described changes to settings mean if I do or not do them.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:50 AM

Those files are associated with Adobe PrimeTime....

See my blurb headed in red in post #2 ...

Disable the Adobe Primetime CDM without uninstalling....OR    Opt out of CDM playback, uninstall CDMs and stop all CDM downloads

You can either disable it or completely opt out of it......your choice.

I chose to opt out altogether......I have a distrust of most things Adobe.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#7 garyjn

garyjn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 05:19 PM

gmpopenh264.dll of 652 kilobytes, and eme-adobe.dll of 5771 kilobytes.

FWIW These 2 files downloaded to my computer today.  I use firefox.  Norton scanned both and said they were safe.

#8 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:49 PM

gmpopenh264.dll of 652 kilobytes, and eme-adobe.dll of 5771 kilobytes.

FWIW These 2 files downloaded to my computer today.  I use firefox.  Norton scanned both and said they were safe.

Norton 360 notified me the same way.  I decided to ask here about them anyway.

I have now used Firefox  update without making any of the changes suggested.  So far, no obvious problems.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 12:09 AM

Just to add also when needed checking manually for the current (and background downloading) Firefox version is by going to Help menu - About Firefox.

Tekken

#10 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:00 AM

Just to add also when needed checking manually for the current (and background downloading) Firefox version is by going to Help menu - About Firefox.

That is always how I handle the Firefox updates for MY computer  (my personal one, the one for which I started this topic).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users