Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cursor changes location when opening New Tabs in browser

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ozseagull

ozseagull

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:46 PM

What's happening is that as the browser (FF) opens, with the Google search page set as the home page, it opens ok but the blinking cursor is located in the top bar, immediately to the right of the URL for the page [http://google.com.au] *here*

If I then click the 'house' symbol in the Google toolbar ie: "home" when the page refreshes, the blinking cursor moves from the title bar into the Google search window in the centre of the screen.

If I click on the X on the tab for the page ie: requesting a New Tab/page to open, it will open also with the cursor in the top title bar.

Again, if I click on the 'house/home' icon on the google toolbar, as it refreshes the cursor appears in the Google seach window in centre page.

I want it to do this from the get go.

Clearly there must be some clashing instructions somewhere.....

Any ideas how to rectify this issue?

Edited by hamluis, 14 May 2015 - 12:02 PM.
Moved from XP to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:01 PM

I don't see a problem...but my reasoning follows.

Opening a browser window...puts user in position to browse URLs.  The browser setttings are the default.  That makes sense to me.

Using the Google toolbar...puts user in position to search.  The search function becomes the default.  That makes sense to me.

If Google is your default homepage and search engine...I suspect that the search engine settings are the default when clicking on the browser "home" icon...since that is the only reason why one normally goes to Google.

Makes sense to me, although it may not make sense to you.

Louis

#3 ozseagull

ozseagull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:41 PM

Clear like mud.

Perhpas I didn't make *myslef* clear enough.

When I first open the browser from the desk top icon, it opens and defaults to the google search page, - with the blinking cursor in the appropriate place, i the search box in the centre of the screen below the GOOGLE logo.

But if once I have opened a site, and then seek to open another by clicking on the New Tab 'X' on the top of the page, when *that* New page opens, the blinkcing cursor is in the topt, title bar, rather than in the centre 'search' box below the GOOGLE logo.

In order to make the cursor appear in this spot I have to manually 'click' in the search box, OR click on the 'House/home' button in the Google toolbar.

So why is it OK at start-up, but not OK when opening a New Tab?

Is this a registry issue and if so how do I fix it?

Need the cursor to be in the search box, not the title bar.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:11 AM

Install Custom New Tab 2.0.1  from firefox add ons...

Once it is installed, go to menu >> add ons >> extensions.....and look for custom new tab in your list....click on Options.....

Paste THIS  into the box at the top.....this will be the url opened each time you open a new tab......

You should then be good to go !

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 ozseagull

ozseagull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:00 PM

Yeah, OK, tried that, and it does work....for the first page, and 'home'....BUT....the cursor still doesn't appear on my bank's login page in the type-in-ID box - as it *used* to do...

So I'm looking for a more elegant solution.

Anyone?

#6 ozseagull

ozseagull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:45 PM

OK, think I fixed it. The bank web page I was primarily accessing fomr a Bookmark, so I deleted the old Bookmark and saved a new one and it appears to have solved the cursor not appearing problem.

So all is well. I hope...

#7 his

his

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:09 PM

condobloke you so saved me! thank you

for so long i was annoyed by opening new winow and cursor not being ready in google search box (as it used to be).

your cure fixed it!

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,044 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:59 PM

Cool !

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 ozseagull

ozseagull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:00 PM

OK, just FYI, I recently had an issue with Custom Tab 3.0 and the developer Ed Novak advised me to uninstall it and then reinstall the previous 2.1 version, which fixed the problem I was having of the cursor again not appearing in the Google search box.

So if anyone notices a problem, try this trick and see if it works for you.

Ed is super busy with new work so is not doing much to fix problems with the current CT 3.0. alas.

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,044 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:31 PM

Thank you !

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users