Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to replace a network card in windows nt...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 palmbosm

palmbosm

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:08 PM

Hi All, thanks in advance for the help!!

I am trying to replace a bad Planet pci network card with a new Trendnet pci network card on a windows nt 4.0 pc.  Trendnet states the card should work with windows nt 4.0 and I located and installed the drivers from a winnt folder found on the included disk. With an ethernet cable plugged in both of the cards activity lights are blinking.  I am unable to see anything related to my network.  When I am in the  Network (control panel -- network -- adapter) adapter settings I am able to find the trendnet pci card and see no reference to the old Planet card that use to be there.

Some of the different things I have seen on the web include different bindings?? I'm not sure I have those configured correctly. I have tried to figure those out and anything else listed in the tabs found in "Network" (in the control panel). I also read were I might need to go into the registry and remove all references to the old Planet card but that makes me nervous.

If it helps this windows nt pc is the brains to a Charmilles 390 wire edm (basically a different kind of cnc machine) machine.  I have 2 other machines with working Intel Pro pci network cards in them.  I have referred to both for those "binding" settings and other things but have had no luck. Also, I have tested my ethernet cable with other pcs and the cable is good.  One other note, when I do ipconfig there is nothing listed for ethernet.

I think that is everything,

Thanks again for any help!

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:43 PM

Try running these commands at an administrator's DOS prompt- And then reboot the machine

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset all
netsh int ip reset all

#3 palmbosm

palmbosm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:07 PM

Awesome, thanks! Will try when I'm back at work tomorrow!

#4 palmbosm

palmbosm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:28 PM

Something I spotted today while in - control panel - network - services tab --- the service tcp/ip was avaiable.  When I clicked on that service it asked for an adapter and my trendnet adapter (or any adapter) was not in the list. When I went back to the adapters tab I still see the trendnet card listed there.  Not sure if there is still more I am missing from that end (installing the drivers etc.)  Will try those commands tomorrow though!

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,677 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:39 PM

I remember having a NT laptop where adding a PCI card adapter was a nightmare as NT is not plug and play. I am not sure what Trendnet adapter you bought. Is it this one. In the zipped driver file is a folder called TXT. In it is a MS subfolder with instruction on how to install in NT. Maybe this will help if YeahBleeping's suggestion does not work.

#6 palmbosm

palmbosm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:39 PM

Thanks John - actually that is not the card. My card is this one.  After digging into their site and the zip file, I believe that the driver file has a different name than the NT driver on the cd that came with the card.  I might have to try the new driver tomorrow.

Thanks for all the good suggestions guys!!!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,677 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:18 PM

The driver file for your adapter also had a TXT folder with install instructions. I attached the txt file for NT.

Attached Files

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 May 2015 - 09:18 PM.

#8 palmbosm

palmbosm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:04 PM

Prefect! Thanks!

#9 palmbosm

palmbosm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:34 PM

Ok, none of the above have worked for me today. At one point in time (maybe a week ago) I had removed all the protocols (thinking they were all still "attached" to the old card).  Now with the tcp/ip protocol back on I am unable to add my new adapter from the tcp/ip properties menu.  It is listed under the Adapters tab but from the Protocols tab and under tcp/ip properties I have no adapters listed - attached a photo I found that shows a smc 9000 adapter --- my properties list no adapter there nor can I select one from a list???

vxi_network_image36.gif

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,677 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:46 PM

You added the adapter in control panel under Network? Did you give the correct path to the driver during setup if you downloaded to the hard drive? If you did that then I am not sure what the issue is.

#11 palmbosm

palmbosm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:04 PM

Yup, it was the driver that was in the winnt40 folder... it almost seems like that is a bad driver?? To me it's weird that it will be listed under the adapters tab but I can't find it any where else??

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,677 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:02 PM

I think at this point you should contact Trendnet customer support. If they find the solution please post back an update. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users