Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Partitions - Change from Dynamic to Basic

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cray.claw

cray.claw

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:24 PM

I have an Asus EB1501 Intel Atom 330 / 1.6 GHz  / Dual Core / 2gb RAM /  250gb HDD / Win 7 Home Prem.

I want to install Zorin OS  along side Win 7 as a dual boot but cannot because all partitions in the disk are Dynamic.  Partitions need to be Basic to perform installation.

I have read tutorials to convert partitions which require one to delete all dynamic partitians and then convert the disc to basic but that will mean deleting everything on the disk.  Simple enough but the tutorials stop there with no instructions on what to do thereafter.

Is there a stress free way of converting the disk from Dynamic to Basic?  Some clever freeware possibly?

Would a system recovery from a system image also change the disc type to basic by chance?

Some detailed guidance "KISS method" would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by cray.claw, 13 May 2015 - 07:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:37 PM

The only freeware partition manager that will convert Dynamic to Basic is Easeus Partition Master. I do not know if it can convert a system disk to basic though. You can contact them to confirm that.

http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-guide/convert-dynamic-disk-to-basic-disk.html

Edit: I would recommend you do create a disk image before doing the conversion.

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 May 2015 - 08:44 PM.

#3 cray.claw

cray.claw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 10:55 PM

Thanks very much for your post JohnC_21.

When I saw the reviews and detail of that EaseUS Partition Master I thought all would be sorted quickly and easily but I've since noted that EaseUS seams to be a bit dodgy.

The EaseUS website lists the free features that come in the Free Edition of the product here ( http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/ ), however when you go and actually install the software you find that most of those features are actually not available on the free edition at all.

Very dissapointing and certainly not good for the reputation of that company.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:58 AM

Actually,if you look at the comparison chart here the free version can do most of what the pro version does except resizing dynamic disks and RAID5 repair unless that has changed. I have had very good luck with Easeus especially there data recovery software. I would not call them a dodgy company. They have been around a very long time.

http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/comparison.html

You should then look at Minitools Partition Wizard Pro for changing a dynamic to basic disk. I have used the free version of this software with good results too. The Pro version can convert a dynamic to basic disk but again I do not know if it can convert a dynamic system disk.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/comparison.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 May 2015 - 08:04 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:12 PM

FWIW:  http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/change-dynamic-disk-to-basic.htm .  I use Partition Manager routinely, but I've never fiddled with dynamic disks.

Louis

#6 cray.claw

cray.claw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:48 PM

Actually,if you look at the comparison chart here the free version can do most of what the pro version does except resizing dynamic disks and RAID5 repair unless that has changed. I have had very good luck with Easeus especially there data recovery software. I would not call them a dodgy company. They have been around a very long time.

http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/comparison.html

Yes, I fell for that one too.

When you click on the download button for that link it takes you to yet another edition comparison page which then tells you that all the free version will do is merge partitions.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:28 PM

Did you actually download and try it. People here have done more with the free version than just merge partitions. That second comparison chart does not even give the full capabilities of the the pro version. I usually use Minitools but I am going to download the free version of Easeus Partition Master and confirm what is actually included.

Edit: Just as I thought. You can do many more things with the free version other than merge. I think that chart was created to get people to upgrade to the pro version that includes creating a bootable disk. The first comparison chart is valid. Everything listed is available on the free version. You have to be careful during the install to opt out of other programs offered like Todo Backup and an Optimizer. You do not have to include your email address. Leave that blank.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 May 2015 - 05:49 PM.

#8 cray.claw

cray.claw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:16 PM

Did you actually download and try it.

I started the download proceedure and ended up with a window in front of me asking to either download the Free version or the Pro version - this window included yet another comparison page stating that the free version would only merge partitions.    I then cancelled the install.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:06 PM

I got the same window. Pick the free version. Then opt out of the Todo Backup and Optimizer. You will install the free version that will give you all options. except the bootable disk. As I said initially I do not know if you can covert a dynamic system disk. You should always create a disk image before doing partition manipulation.

#10 cray.claw

cray.claw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:34 AM

Installed it.  Doesn't allow one to do what it says - very dissapointing.

I know the product is free but making false promisses is very unprofessional.  Would certainly discourage me from buying any product from EaseUS.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:53 AM

What does it not allow you do to? I am not sure what you mean by false promises. Every option I picked in the free version worked for me including creating partitions, deleting partitions, and expanding/moving partitions. If you cannot do what you want then uninstall it and go to minitools partition wizard pro for dynamic conversion.

Edit: With the free version I was also able to convert from FAT32 to NTFS, Merge Partitions, and covert Primary to Logical and Logical to Primary. The option to copy partitions was also available.

Edit: I can confirm that the free version does not convert a dynamic system disk to basic. I will email Easeus to get a clarification on this.

Edit: I could not understand why the comparison chart listed the ability to convert dynamic to basic disk. I decided to uninstall V10.5 and install  10.1 here. Version 10.1 gives the ability to convert dynamic to basic. This was taken out of V10.5. I converted a system disk to dynamic using the diskpart command and converted it back to basic using V10.1 without a problem.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 May 2015 - 02:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users