Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with appdata folder

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Calvinder

Calvinder

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:12 PM

Hello I hope someone can help me.

I have always  had accesses to my AppData folder in the past Now if I try to open it all I see is a local folder containing only two other folders.

I have selected show hidden files and folders and also unchecked hide protected operating system files.

I am wondering if my profile is corrupted.

Thanks in advance

Calvin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:34 PM

Hi Calvinder :)

Just to confirm, you are in C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData, is that right? And you only see a folder called Local in it, that contains two other folders? If you try to go to C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Roaming, what happens?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Calvinder

Calvinder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:59 PM

Hi Aura

Yes I am in c:\username\AppData  and that is my problem there is no Roaming folder

any more.

Edited by Calvinder, 13 May 2015 - 05:00 PM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:11 PM

If you don't have any LocalLow and Roaming folders, then you have a problem. A lot of programs (and Windows) relies on these folders. Check in your Recycle Bin if you didn't delete them by mistake. If you didn't, I suggest you to create a new user account (make it Admin), log in it, transfer all the data you want to keep from the old account to the new one, and then delete the old user and his userprofile.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Calvinder

Calvinder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:36 PM

Ya that is where I was headed next.

I think they are there but I can't see them. everything Ie Firefox works fine.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:37 PM

If you manually enter the path in Windows Explorer: C:\Users\$username\AppData\Roaming, does it says that the location doesn't exist, or does it takes you in it?

unite_blue.png

#7 Calvinder

Calvinder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:54 PM

It says windows can't find it. I also searched for it.

Also I created a new user acc with admin privileges . and none of my other accounts will see it so I cant copy any thing.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:56 PM

If you go in that new user account and go in C:\Users, you don't see the other users? If so, go back in the other users, create a directory at the root of the C:, like Backup, put all the files you want to transfer from one account to the other there, go in the new one and grab the data that way.

unite_blue.png

#9 Calvinder

Calvinder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:05 PM

I will try that
Other thing is this is a dual boot system maybe I can see stuff from other operating system.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:06 PM

What other OS are you dual-booting with?

unite_blue.png

#11 Calvinder

Calvinder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:52 PM

Long story The other oporatine sys is also win 7 ultimate.

I a there now and cann see the new users I created and also the Appdata I cannot see onn the other win7.

Trying to copy it wile I can.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:54 PM

There could be permission issues, but even there you should be able to see the folders. If you really made sure to see all the hidden and system files and folders like you said in the OP.

unite_blue.png

#13 Calvinder

Calvinder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:03 PM

funny if I look at the c drive of the other win 7 I only see the appdata I see on the other one if I look at the d drive I can see the roaming with correct date created.
If you understand why would I see it on d: and not c: of the other win 7.
they are different physical drives.

#14 Calvinder

Calvinder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:21 PM

Seems to be copying to a flash drive.
the usernames and passwords are the same on the two win 7’s.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:25 PM

Weird. To be honest, even when I go in the config account (local account) at work on a computer, if I go under Users I can see the userprofile folders of all the other users that logged on the system. In your case, creating a new user account and deleting all the other ones will be a good thing. If you go in your new account, click on the Windows Start Menu, right-click on Computer and select Properties, then select Advanced System Settings and click on the second Settings button. Do you see the other userprofiles?

Edited by Aura., 13 May 2015 - 07:25 PM.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users