Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition resizing failed-now corrupt master file table on boot drive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 FuzzTone

FuzzTone

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:05 PM

I've used Disk Director successfully before.  This time I attempted to shrink my C: partition so that I could clone to an SSD.  I had 148 Gb on 299Gb that I was trying to resize to 238Gb.  When the dust settled this bleeper reported Corrupt Master File Table.  My gut feeling tells me that 5 years of programs and tweaks are still there.  Does anyone know how to recover?  So far Acronis Recovery Expert, TestDisk and Seagate File Recovery no help.  DMDE shows daylight but what is the proper procedure to work it's magic?

I'm currently copying the D: partition of the afflicted drive just in case.

Help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:49 PM

When you ran Testdisk click on Advanced then Boot. Does it show that the backup MFT is intact?  Even the backup is actually only a few first bytes fo the MFT so it may not work even if the backup is listed as okay.

Also, if you can create a System Repair Disk on another computer with Windows 7 doing a chkdsk /r will try and repair the MFT.

You may have to recover your data with a program like Easeus Data Recovery. This would let you recover 1GB for free. After 1GB you would need to purchase a key.

This is why I recommend a complete disk image be done when doing any kind of partition movement. Though rare, things can go bad as you found out.

I am not familiar with DMDE but I would assume you need to scan the drive for it to find any recoverable files. Here is the online manual.

#3 FuzzTone

FuzzTone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:17 PM

Thanx for suggestions.  When I click advanced  I only see 4 partitions and only two options, Change Type and Image Creation. NO Boot. Going with Image Creation I get "Image created succesfully but read errors have occurred" and an image.dd in the destination sized 0 bytes.  Now what? 
I have loaded a clean 7-64 install on the SSD.  If I understand you correctly I should make a Repair Disk. However if I boot to it how can I run chkdsk /f on on a disk that windows currently can not access? 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:45 AM

You are correct, if the Repair disk cannot see the OS then you will not be able to do a chkdsk.

I am not sure why Testdisk did not have a Boot option available under advanced. I never ran into that before. When you ran Testdisk did it find any partitions after doing a Quick or Deep Search? You said there were 4 partitions listed under Advanced.  If so, did you hightlight the partition found and press "p" to list any files. If no partitions were found and there is no option to repair MFT then the only option would be to use Easues or DMDE to recover any files.

You are using V6.14 correct? I believe V7 is still in beta. Edit: Under the Advanced Menu there should also be a list option when you see partitions listed.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 May 2015 - 09:39 AM.

#5 FuzzTone

FuzzTone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:19 PM

Thanks.

I hope we're not getting tangled.  I used the old Repair Disk on the failed installation. It saw nothing.  My new installation only sees Local Disk, not accessible.  Is there no chance that the low level functions of a Repair Disk for my current OS might work?

I was using Test Disk 7.0, it didn't say beta.  It allowed you to choose HD OR logical drive which I thought was cool until the dead end.

6.14 is HD only, through Advanced then choose logical partition to rescue. At this point Boot returns:

Boot sector

Backup boot sector

Sectors are not identical.

There is no mention of MFT.

Now what?

Unbelivabely, last overnight I was copying the files from the good partition to a RAID 1 disk, just in case) and I didn't think to set bleeping windows to never sleep.  When I woke up one partition (the logical drive I wasn't copying to) is asking to reformat.  What's the best way to recover these files?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:00 PM

Is there a list option after you selected Boot? Also is there a RebuildBS option? Having both BackupBS and BS okay and yet sectors not identical is very unusual. One should have been marked bad.

Edit: Thanks for the update on V7 no longer being in beta.

I think your best option for recovering files would be to use Easeus or DMDE.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 May 2015 - 01:15 PM.

#7 FuzzTone

FuzzTone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:28 PM

EauseUS sees no dir structure.
DMDE is inscrutable.
TestDisk, PhotoRec gets nada.

No hope.

Seagate File Recovery works great for failing HDD's.

No hope for windows assassinations.

Edited by FuzzTone, 19 May 2015 - 01:34 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:31 PM

In your post #5 you stated that you saw that the Both Boot Sectors were listed as okay. Was there an option to RebuildBS. If there is do that but do not write. After selecting RebuildBS there should be a List option. Select that. Are the files listed?

#9 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:38 AM

Hi FuzzTone and JohnC_21,

Might be worth a look at this 

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/333571-recover-data-diskpart-clean-command-11.html       post#107

Good luck

To other readers   WARNING Testdisk is extremely powerful and should only be used under supervision.

Hedge 

#10 jackmiller506

jackmiller506

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:37 PM

Its too risky to shrink C: dude,its very possible to get your PC unbootable,why didnt you use minitool partition wizard.it has a function-migrate OS to SSD/HD.just few clicks to move OS to your SSD.and another function-copy partition wizard could solve the other troubles ,totally free .dude

#11 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:50 AM

Have you tried this?  

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-fix-the-master-boot-record-in-windows.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users