Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

More Custom PC Troubles

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DejoMasters

DejoMasters

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:50 AM

Okay, so, I'm back again because my custom PC is still freezing. After remounting the motherboard due to suggestions on my last thread, the problem went away at first, but then persisted. Just a complete freeze. No skipping. No sound. Frozen. My specs:

Windows 8.1 (Clean Install)

AMD Athlon x4 860K

16 GB (2x 8GB sticks) Crucial Ballistix Sport RAM DDR3

Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-DH3 Motherboard

WD Black 1.0 TB HDD

Corsair CX430 Power Supply

Sapphire Radeon R7 Graphics Card

So far, I've switched out the RAM, motherboard, hard drive and graphics card, all to yield the same result: complete freezing.

Could this be a processor problem? The power supply? Those are my last two options before I chalk it up to me mis-mounting the motherboard again. Please help if you can.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:02 PM

When the system freezes is it completely random?  Usually a system freeze with no error messages I would attribute to memory grounding or power supply.  If you changed out the memory and checked them with memtest86 and found no problems and you pulled out the mainboard and ran it on a block of wood and still freezes then I am thinking it is either a bad mainboard or power supply.  You can also check the processor for bent or missing pins.

#3 DejoMasters

DejoMasters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:14 PM

It is completely random, for the most part. Demanding tasks like games seem to produce the most freezes. I always have to do a hard reset. I switched the physical memory and I ran memtest86, so it doesn't seem to be the RAM. The motherboard is actually a replacement, as I had the same problems with a past motherboard and attributed it to that. I don't SEE any bent or missing pins, but then again I can't see them very well.

One strange thing is when I unplug my rear cooling fan, it runs for much longer without freezing. Could this be a power supply issue?

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:09 PM

Maybe a power supply, but the result is confusing.  It seems like a heat related fault but reducing the air flow lets it run longer.  Curious.

#5 DejoMasters

DejoMasters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:26 PM

Switched the power supply, still froze.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users