Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft: Insiders using Windows XP or Vista won't get free Windows 10 upgrade

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:43 AM

MICROSOFT HAS CONFIRMED that being a Windows 10 Insider does not guarantee a free copy of the operating system.

The company is using the Windows Insider programme as its biggest ever beta test for what is being billed as the final or definitive version of Windows, or Windows-as-a-service.

But Microsoft has made it clear that its generosity stretches only so far, and that being a beta tester is an honour in itself.

Windows 10 will be offered as a free upgrade to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users when it launches later this year.

Windows 8 has reached end of life, and customers will need to take the free upgrade to Windows 8.1 first, which is still subject to holdouts totalling 5.88 percent of the OS market, according to this month's Netmarketshare figures.

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 12:33 PM

It has been announced months ago, and it took another declaration to confirm it? Some people really lives on their own little cloud don't they?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 01:47 PM

Fully agree.  People were well warned & informed NOT to stay on 8.0 when 8.1 was released.  To expect to go from an obsolete OS (8.0) to Win10 is pretty silly.  Win8.1 replaced 8.0.  I have never included 8.0 in this... it was never stated as being included & no reason it would be.  And no reason for anyone to, still, be on 8.0  Just grab 8.1 and not be denying a lot; like support, Updates AND Win10 (for free).

Cheers,
Drew
thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:24 PM

I assume windows 8.0 is still getting updates from now until Jnuary 2016, at which point 8.0 users need to either:
"upgrade" to 8.1,
upgrade to 8.1 and then switch to windows 10,
switch to another OS entirely,
or go without updates/support.

I assume this "decision time" for 8.0 users isn't yet, ad that 8.0 still gets security updates until January 2016, and that 8.0 users still have the option to upgrade to 8.1 open to them even some months after January 2016.

Am I correct in these assumptions? Personally I'm not interested in window 10, But I do probably intend to try and "upgrade" my 8.0 machine to 8.1 when January 2016 comes around, will this still be possible or will Jan 2016 be too late for upgrading?

Edited by rp88, 13 May 2015 - 07:24 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:26 PM

Is there any reason why you aren't upgrading to Windows 8.1 right now?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:00 PM

I don't know if my 8.0 system has compatible hardware, I'm really busy RIGHT NOW, I might have time to consider upgrading in a few months time. I bought a machine with 8.1 preinstalled in April, so I now know that interface-wise 8.1 is much the same as 8.0, and I know it runs all the programs I need just as well as 8.0 does, and it runs without a microsoft account just as happily as 8.0 does. Before April I held off the upgrade because I thought 8.1 would be worse than 8.0, that it might not be able to run some of my programs or that it might try and make me use a microsoft account rather than a local one, since April the reason I haven't upgraded the 8.0 machine is I haven't had time. But In July I might have time, so might do it then if the offer to upgrade 8.0 to 8.1 is still available. Also I'm a bit concerned my hardware might be 8.0 compatible but not 8.1 compatible, I could use knowing how to tell that before I try to upgrade.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:05 PM

You know that upgrading to Windows 8.1 is basically going in the Windows Store and installing it right? It's all automatic. Also, if your machine came with Windows 8.1, I'm pretty sure that it's hardware-ready. Also, Windows Vista throught 8.1 drivers are all compatible with each others most of the time. They packaged installers might not, but the drivers inside are.

unite_blue.png

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:47 PM

Two machines, one came with 8.1, it has it installed. The other came with 8.0, and is a bit unusual in it's setup, which is the setup it came with, That's why I'm not sure if the 8.0 machine is 8.1 compatible.

"going in the Windows Store and installing it"
Using the store, does that need an ms account or something? I've never used the store at all on either machine. I thought upgrading did involve some reinstalling of programs and things after the upgrade though, plus I would guess I need to re-do control panel settings to the configurations like them in.

Edited by rp88, 13 May 2015 - 08:47 PM.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:54 PM

All of these are saved when you upgrade to Windows 8.1, here.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-8/update-from-windows-8-tutorial

Also yes it requires an account to use the Windows Store if I recall correctly. However, if might be only for apps you download. You can also upgrade to Windows 8.1 without using the Windows Store, see the article below.

http://www.pcdailytips.com/how-i-update-windows-8-to-8-1-with-or-without-windows-store/

unite_blue.png

#10 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:30 AM

I don't know if my 8.0 system has compatible hardware, I'm really busy RIGHT NOW, I might have time to consider upgrading in a few months time. I bought a machine with 8.1 preinstalled in April, so I now know that interface-wise 8.1 is much the same as 8.0, and I know it runs all the programs I need just as well as 8.0 does, and it runs without a microsoft account just as happily as 8.0 does. Before April I held off the upgrade because I thought 8.1 would be worse than 8.0, that it might not be able to run some of my programs or that it might try and make me use a microsoft account rather than a local one, since April the reason I haven't upgraded the 8.0 machine is I haven't had time. But In July I might have time, so might do it then if the offer to upgrade 8.0 to 8.1 is still available. Also I'm a bit concerned my hardware might be 8.0 compatible but not 8.1 compatible, I could use knowing how to tell that before I try to upgrade.

You should move to 8.1, now.  It's quick & easy & should have been done a long time ago, already.

Cheers,

Drew

Edited by Drew1903, 14 May 2015 - 12:50 AM.

#11 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:04 AM

I assume windows 8.0 is still getting updates from now until Jnuary 2016, at which point 8.0 users need to either:
"upgrade" to 8.1,
upgrade to 8.1 and then switch to windows 10,
switch to another OS entirely,
or go without updates/support.

I assume this "decision time" for 8.0 users isn't yet, ad that 8.0 still gets security updates until January 2016, and that 8.0 users still have the option to upgrade to 8.1 open to them even some months after January 2016.

Am I correct in these assumptions? Personally I'm not interested in window 10, But I do probably intend to try and "upgrade" my 8.0 machine to 8.1 when January 2016 comes around, will this still be possible or will Jan 2016 be too late for upgrading?

None of this ^ has any relevancy to switching from 8.0 to 8.1 long, long , ago.  Nor is any of it an excuse for not having switched to 8.1 long, long, ago.

Folks, everyone was clearly & emphatically warned, @ the onset, that staying @ 8.0 would be problematic.  Shouldn't even have reason to be mentioning 8.0 @ this point in time.  That's, @ least, 2 years past... in IT time that's eons; way overdue!

Cheers,
Drew

#12 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:09 AM

All of these are saved when you upgrade to Windows 8.1, here.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-8/update-from-windows-8-tutorial

Also yes it requires an account to use the Windows Store if I recall correctly. However, if might be only for apps you download. You can also upgrade to Windows 8.1 without using the Windows Store, see the article below.

http://www.pcdailytips.com/how-i-update-windows-8-to-8-1-with-or-without-windows-store/

But, there is no issue over using Store or a MS Acc't, in the 1st place.

Cheers,
Drew

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:19 AM

A lot of people will stay on Windows 8 because the support for it is extended until January 2016, after that they'll have to move to Windows 8.1 to receive support. If they had reduced the support period for Windows 8, a lot of people would be moved to Windows 8.1 faster. Plus honestly, the upgrade process takes an hour (even less than that). Simply do it overnight, while you're at work or while you're making and eating diner or else. You can even keep on working while upgrading (during the download at least).

unite_blue.png

#14 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 05:53 PM

I understand that Windows 8 support has ended, but I think it's a bit silly they won't let Windows 8 users update directly to Windows 10 when they are letting Windows 7 users update directly. It's going to be a huge waste of bandwith for both the user and Microsoft.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2015 - 05:54 PM

Windows 8 support didn't end yet. It ends in 2016. After that, you'll have to upgrade to Windows 8.1 to continue receiving the updates.

Edited by Aura., 17 May 2015 - 05:54 PM.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users