Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After New Install of Win7, New Computer is a Dead Box

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 kalmly

kalmly

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:55 AM

I purchased an HP Win7 64-bit Computer which came with a horrible version of the OS. I purchased a new disc (Win7, 64-bit) with key online. Installed yesterday.  Result:  No internet.  No Wi-fi.  Dead USB ports, so no mouse. I did manage to find and run Windows FixIt. It gave me a list of missing drivers, which I cannot download and they cannot update because I have no internet connection. ....SCREAM. SCREAM.

I don't know if taking it to the computer hospital, or having a tech over would even help. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:00 AM

Hi kalmly :)

If you installed a Windows from a standard installation media with no driver support or no driver support for your computer/laptop, then indeed you'll be missing a lot of drivers. They are easy to get from your manufacturer website (download and install), but without any Internet access, you can't really do it. Do you have access to another device on which you could download at least the Network Controller (WiFi) drivers so you could get a connection, and then download the other drivers from there? You could use a USB flash drive, or CD/DVD to transfer the drivers. You could even download them on your smartphone if you have one, connect it to the computer/laptop via USB and grab the driver installation file from there.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:17 AM

USBs are dead.  Dummy me.  Maybe I can burn them to a CD/DVD.  Long time since I've done that. How quickly we forget.

Uhh, where?  HP site??

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:19 AM

If you can give me your HP computer model, I can link you the driver. At least the Network Controller one for now and once you get a connection, I could help you get the others. Does that computer only have WiFi? Can't you connect an Ethernet cable to it? The Ethernet Controller drivers might be installed.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:28 AM

I was just on a chat with HP site. I didn't tell them I'd overwritten their OS with what I thought would be a better one. However, I couldn't download drivers because — wouldn't you know it — they are have problems with drivers on their site. But assure me they are now working on it and it should be fixed within 24 hours.  And suddenly I'm wondering if that is what caused the problem in the first place. During the installation process, I was provided little bits of info that told me the computer would go online for updates and that it would reboot several times. I'm guessing now that the drivers weren't available and so the install failed to finish correctly. If that is the case, then it would seem that if I could get internet access, maybe I could just reinstall and everything would be good.

Computer model is HP Pavilion 500-267c.  Ethernet Controller driver is missing. I tried plugging the Ethernet cable to it, but no joy.  Thanks so much for trying to help.

Edited by kalmly, 13 May 2015 - 02:26 PM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:30 AM

Windows look for drivers via the Windows Updates, if HP didn't push drivers for their computers/laptops via the Windows Updates, then Windows won't find them during the installation. Alright, looking it up right now.

unite_blue.png

#7 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:53 AM

Appointment w/ophthalmologist in 20 mins.  Be back as soon as possible. 

Thanks for trying to help.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 12:27 PM

Could it be a HP Pavilion 500-267c? Because HP Pavilion 500-26c doesn't exist. If so, there are multiple drivers (multiple brands), so I'll need the brand and model of both the Ethernet Controller and Network Controller. They are easy to find.

mYEYEX7.pngDevice Manager
Follow the instructions below for your version of Windows to open the Device Manager and give me the VEN and DEV Ids of the Ethernet Controller and Network Controller:
  • On Windows XP, right-click on My Computer, then go to the Hardware tab and click on Device Manager;
  • On Windows Vista and Windows 7, open the Windows Start Menu, right-click on Computer and select Properties;
  • On Windows 8, bring your cursor in the bottom-left corner of the screen, wait for the metro preview to show then right-click on it and select Device Manager;
  • On Windows 8.1, right-click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner of the screen and select Device Manager;
  • From the System window, click on Device Manager in the left pane;
  • Go under Other devices, right-click on Ethernet Controller and select Properties;
  • From there, go in the Details tab and select Hardware Ids in the drop down list;
  • Right-click on the first line that appears in the middle box, then select Copy and paste that line in your next reply;
  • Repeat the procedure for the Network Controller to get its VEN and DEV Ids as well;

unite_blue.png

#9 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:31 PM

Yes HP Pavilion 500-267c. Sorry for the typo.

I will try to get the information you asked for. Keep in mind that I have no mouse function. So it is very difficult - and sometimes - impossible to get around in the system.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:37 PM

It's possible to get around it using only the keyboard. Press on the Win Key to bring up the Windows Start Menu, then go to Control Panel. Once in it, move down to Hardware and Sound, then to Device Manager (using the left, right, up, down keys). Once in it, simply go down to the Unknown Devices, click on the Right key to expand it, then position yourself on the Device and press on Enter. Use the Tab key to go in the tabs, move to Details and use Tab once again to be on the dropdown menu, then just use the down key. If you can't find your position, just use the Tab key to jump around. I've been doing that for way too long, so it's an habit for me now :P

unite_blue.png

#11 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:47 PM

OK.  I got the info. However, I am unable to use copy paste so I've handwritten the information. Let's hope I can avoid more typos:

I can't give you a brand and model.  For both the Ethernet Controller and the Network Controller, the General Tab give only this:

Device Type:  Other devices

Manufacturer:  Unknown

Ethernet Controller Hardware Ids:

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_2AF7103C&REV_0C

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_2AF7103C

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&_020000

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&_0200

Network Controller Hardware Ids

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0032&SUBSYS_1838103C&REV_01

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0032&SUBSYS_1838103C

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_02800

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0280

Sorry to take so long. Dilated eyes. :(

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:52 PM

Don't worry kalmly, this was exactly what I was looking for :)

These are the drivers for the Ethernet Controller (wired connection): http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64001-64500/sp64477.exe
And these are the ones for the Network Controller (WiFi connection): http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64501-65000/sp64743.exe

unite_blue.png

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,292 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:02 PM

Just wanted to point out that the computer has two USB 3.0 ports on the front and two in the back. These are marked blue and will not work until a driver is installed. You have four USB 2.0 ports on the back marked black. These should work as Windows 7 has native USB 2.0 support. If your USB 2.0 ports do not work then I would suspect a hardware problem.

c03885131.jpg

• USB 2.0: 2
  • LAN (Ethernet)
  • VGA
  • DVI-D
  • USB 3.0: 2
  • Audio: Line-in
  • Audio: Line-out
  • Audio: Microphone

#14 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:03 PM

WOW. Thanks. Downloaded. Will burn to CD and try installing. BUT have two questions.

1.  Where do I install them, the Windows folder?

2.  Since I have no mouse function, is there a keyboard equivalent that I can use?

#15 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:07 PM

Just wanted to point out that the computer has two USB 3.0 ports on the front and two in the back. These are marked blue and will not work until a driver is installed. You have four USB 2.0 ports on the back marked black. These should work as Windows 7 has native USB 2.0 support. If your USB 2.0 ports do not work then I would suspect a hardware problem.

c03885131.jpg

• LAN (Ethernet)
  • VGA
  • DVI-D
  • USB 3.0: 2
  • Audio: Line-in
  • Audio: Line-out
  • Audio: Microphone

Huh. Never thought about that. However, the minute I saw your post I tried plugging the mouse into one of the back USB ports, but still not working. Sigh.

NO NO NO. WAIT A MINUTE.  I had it plugged into one of the upper ones. GOD BLESS YOU. I've got a mouse. A mouse!! 

Thanks.

A mouse. Downloaded drivers. Sooo relieved. I think I should be able to plug in one of my flash drives too. Then I can get those drivers installed.

Edited by kalmly, 13 May 2015 - 05:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users