Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VIDEO CABLE ISSUE

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dreagonfly

dreagonfly

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:57 AM

From a very old CPU, I am switching to a newer one (HP Pavilion a6730tw) but I am experiencing a problem. When I connect all the cables and boot it up, the monitor displays a message saying: CHECK VIDEO CABLE

I used VGA with my old CPU and I switched to DVI with my new one but it says that message. I've tried the VGA and HDMI but the two doesn't work too. But according to someone, I should use DVI for my CPU.

Please help me and thank you in advance!  :hello:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,982 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:04 AM

Does your monitor auto-scan for inputs, or do you need to manually select the input with a control button? If the signal dialog doesn't say which input it's looking at, and it doesn't auto select, you might need to specifically choose DVI or HDMI if the monitor is set to VGA.

If the monitor is definitely set to receive DVI and HDMI and not getting either, my next thought would be that the system might currently be configured to display only on VGA, which on that computer outputs only via the DVI-I connector. The blue VGA socket is disabled when a video card is fitted. The VGA output needs a DVI to VGA adapter, one of which was originally supplied with the unit:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01670074

If you notice in the link above in the video ports section: * VGA using included DVI-to-VGA adapter

This is the type of adapter you'd need to try (not a brand recommendation):

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/dvi-male-vga-female-adapter

Edited by Platypus, 13 May 2015 - 09:05 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 dreagonfly

dreagonfly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:00 AM

Does your monitor auto-scan for inputs, or do you need to manually select the input with a control button? If the signal dialog doesn't say which input it's looking at, and it doesn't auto select, you might need to specifically choose DVI or HDMI if the monitor is set to VGA.

I'm not really into computers so I don't know if it auto-scan for inputs or not. I also don't know how to manually select it. But whenever the 'Check video cable' shows up, I push the Menu button on my monitor but doesn't display anything so I don't really have any clues on what to do with this.

As for the included DVI to VGA adapter, I lost it and bought a new one.

Thank you very much!

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,982 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:47 AM

So you connected the VGA cable through the adapter to the DVI on the computer, not a regular VGA cable to the blue D-sub connector? (Not the other way round, blue D-sub on computer to DVI on monitor through adapter?)

If all 3 connection types were tried correctly, that suggests either the monitor is manually set to the wrong input, or the computer is not actually producing a video signal.

It's not unusual for a monitor to not display a menu if there is no video signal. Some do, but many don't. What is the brand and model of monitor?

#5 dreagonfly

dreagonfly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:24 AM

Sorry, I can't pretty much understand what you're trying to say on the first paragraph (really sorry T_T). 

But my monitor's HP w1907v. It only has one video input which is the VGA so I connect the VGA to the monitor, and the DVI to VGA adapter (which exactly looks like this) to the CPU. By the way, the video card inserted is NVIDIA GeForce GT 420.

Thank you!!

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:18 PM

Go back to the VGA connection on the monitor with the VGA cable to the on-board VGA connector, not the optional video card port.  If that works, then the try the VGA connection on the option card.  IF both work, then the DVI port needs to enabled while in VGA mode.  The monitor should  display a menu without an input, that may be a problem.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,982 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:57 PM

If the monitor has only VGA in, how were you able to try HDMI?

Are you sure the adapter you have looks exactly like the one you've linked to? If it does, then it looks like your problem is being caused by the fact that it isn't a DVI analog to VGA adapter - the analog signal is on the 5 pins the adapter illustrated doesn't have.

Edited by Platypus, 01 June 2015 - 07:58 PM.

#8 dreagonfly

dreagonfly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:14 AM

I tried the HDMI to VGA adapter and connected it to the CPU and the VGA only to the monitor. 

Yes, it's exactly like that. But I don't quite understand, how do I know if it's a DVI analog to VGA adapter? What should I get then?

Thanks for the patience!!

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,982 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:18 AM

The adapter will need to have the 5 pins at the left hand end in your image - does it have four small pins, two on either side of a flat bar? If they are actually there, just not visible because of the angle, then maybe the computer simply isn't producing any signal. That could explain why there's also nothing when you use the HDMI adapter, but that could also be because the computer is set up to only show VGA.

Have you thought to try mdj420nova's suggestion, try the VGA out that's built into the computer's mainboard? You would need to open up the case and remove the video card, but it may be the only way to see if the computer is even working. If it's faulty, there's a lot of time and effort being wasted looking for a signal that's not there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users