Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC sometimes wont start up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jill71

Jill71

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:57 AM

Hi wonder if someone can help my PC is old really had it about 6 years and is windows 7, sometimes the PC wont load up, the fan goes and the light flickers for a second then goes off, I can still here the fan, I have to turn it back off and it does eventually load up properly, it has becoming increasingly slow too, my husband has looked inside and checked all the components and all seems fine, do you think that the hard drive may be failing? I have checked for errors but never really completes and system restore will not work properly.  It has been formatted and windows re installed earlier this year.  Thanx.

Edited by hamluis, 13 May 2015 - 09:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Heriberto42a

Heriberto42a

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:23 AM

Hi Jill71

Am guessing it might be your PSU Power Supply Unit, I have had this problem before and I bought a new PSU from ebay and the PC started up perfectly. Look into this first and see if this fixes the problem.  Check also cables and connections, also dust build up.  Inside the PC may need cleaning.  Then check the hard drive as you say and also check if your RAM memory modules (DIMMs) are inserted properly. 

#3 PAJimmy

PAJimmy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:05 AM

Had this problem. It was the hard drive. After 6 years, it more then likely is failing.

#4 Jill71

Jill71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:55 AM

Thank you for all your advice, Not sure about the power supply unit it had been replaced about 18 moths ago, Give the inside a clean too, I think everything looks ok and clicked in properly, but won't hurt to check again, Checked drive for errors but did not come up with anything, but someone I know suggested I try disk defragmenter,  There were gaps and it won't analyse properly would this suggest a problem, forgot to mention that PC sometimes crashes too  thanx

#5 Heriberto42a

Heriberto42a

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:31 AM

HI Jill71

You could try the built in disk defragmenter and see if that solves the problem or you could go into Safe Mode, this can be F2 key on your computer (you have to find which key does this and do it quickly before Windows 7 starts up) and see if this boots up in safe mode, once inside you can see if it shuts down then or not, it could be a faulty driver issue that needs uninstalling, think if you have downloaded or installed some software recently that may cause your pc to malfunction and shut down. Try last known good configuration, this could be your F8 key in Advanced Boot Options, google this if your not sure. Also listen to sounds or beeps.  Is there a beep when the computer loads up normally, one beep means it's fine.  This should go into POST (Power On Self Test).  Try this as well as Click Start, type go to Accessories, right click, run as administrator and type chkdsk/f.  Also try sfc /scannow using the command line and see what happens then.  Another option once could be to test your memory, there are tools to download for this such as memtest, link here http://www.memtest86.com/.  Failing all this try a factory reset, but try and back up all your files, photos etc before doing this to an external hard drive.  If this then get a replacement hard-drive as this could be the problem.  Hope all this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users