Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics card and memory upgrades

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WildIrishRose

WildIrishRose

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:36 PM

Hi, I'm looking to get a new graphics card and more memory for my desktop computer.  I'm an avid gamer and wanting to find something that would be good for that.  I'm hoping to find something for $500-600 for the graphics card.

Current specs are:

Model: Gateway LX6810-01 

Processor: 

2.33 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad

64 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded

Main circuit board:

Gateway FMCP7AM 

Bus Clock: 333 megahertz

Memory: 4 slots of 2048MB

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CG_5

CG_5

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:24 AM

Hi WildIrishRose,

I'm more a software fanatic, but I hear your call, you want to have a great GPU so you can play more high quality games, unfortunately it

isn't that easy for some people. I can see your hardware is not very powerful, which could be fatal for a new, more modern graphics card.

If a graphics card cannot keep up with the rest of your hardware it will cause a so called bottleneck, which pretty much renders your PC useless.

Now I see you have a budget of around $500 - 600, a good GPU doesn't have to cost that much, what I'd recommend is getting a mid to high

range GPU like a 660 SC, which is only $200. I have that graphics card and can play all the latest games on high - max settings (except for

SMAA anti-aliasing). I would suggest that you upgrade your CPU and your graphics card at the same time. Better than ending up with no PC at all :)

Hope this helped,

CG_5

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:58 AM

My belief is that if you are talking about upgrading your CPU you're talking about a new computer.

As for the RAM.  Go to Crucial and run their system scanner, but if I'm reading your post correctly you've already got 8GB installed which is the maximum for that machine.

My experience with Gateway is that they use older technology to make their machines.  I don't think your power supply will handle a video card upgrade.

Instead of upgrading you might want to put that money towards a new machine.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:44 PM

I agree with Kilroy.. put that money towards a newer more powerful gaming rig you can build yourself  or configure one at someplace like magicmicro.com.  You will be more happy with a newer more powerful gaming system.  For around 8 to 9 hundred or so..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users