Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

At&t router help nvg510 nvg589

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 noserave

noserave

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:54 PM

I have a few routers lying around and had plans for a new home network. I currently have the NVG589 hooked up for my Uverse wifi. I have 3 nvg510 routers and a netgear n150 wireless router wnr1000 v2h2. I would like to have a home network and a guest network, and I need my signal to reach further. I'm open to any ideas including moding or hacking. My office and personal computers need a 'priority' over the other devices, thus the 'home network.' All guests I have I would like to have through the 'guest network.' I've read about cascading routers and IP passthrough, but dont seem to understand all of it. Anyone care to chime in?  :bananas:

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 21 May 2015 - 05:41 PM.
Topic moved to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:23 AM

I'd recommend you start by reading Multi-NAT Router Networks.  For extending the wireless using a router, also known as using a router for a wireless access point, you basically connect the router with a cable and turn off DHCP on the router.

I don't do traffic prioritization, so I can't help you there.  Generally as long as you don't have someone on the network doing peer to peer downloading or a lot of streaming this isn't an issue.

#3 noserave

noserave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:46 AM

Unfortunately I don't have a cable long enough to connect the routers. I was hoping to do it wirelessly.. I do have some vap2500 access points, could I use those? And yes I need to separate the networks mainly because my roommate streams Netflix all the time :/ also many guests enjoy streaming YouTube videos and music. Network priority is pretty important, or at least making it so I don't notice any difference with my computers when I'm streaming or playing games online.

#4 noserave

noserave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:34 AM

any help here?

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:51 PM

My only suggestion to you is to look into dd-wrt and or post your question in the networking section of this forum.  Sorry I cannot be of much help when it comes to networking.  I know my DLink gaming router is capable of QoS (quality of service) and packet prioritization but I do not use that function.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users