Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinBOLT - Maintenance Automation Tool - [v2.0]

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TechnicianOnline

TechnicianOnline

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:46 PM

Hey Bleeping Computer,

I've been working on an automation tool for Windows that I'd like to share with the community.

It’s open source, it's all in Batch/VB and approved by Lawrence Abrams to be shared on the forums. (Had to verify with him to post this.)

To begin, WinBOLT in its recommended settings will install CCleaner and run off the Emsisoft EEK CLI scanner.

These two specific applications hold licenses to their perspective company. Commercial use is not intended and would require a license, home users are free to use them.

WinBOLT is very straight forward, an application you can download quickly at under 26MB or carry around on a storage device.

It's a one click 'set & forget' type of application. Option # 6 is the recommended selection to use for cover all your basis.

I want to point out, this isn't just a malware scanner, it's a toolkit overall and have more options as shown in Op#(7 - 11).

One of the most useful tools is Op#2 as you can now assure all Windows updates are completed on the computer without any input from you.

This will run each 15'th and 30'th of the month, this way you know your system is updated regularly without your having to touch it.

A times, users feel limited to their toolkit with the help of Chocolatey you're able to install applications as needed.

I've collected 40 well known tools to offer in a download; should you need it. Just enter the selection and it's downloaded/installed without your input.

WinBOLT - Primary Menu

LHbrqS2.png

WinBOLT - Secondary Menu

rGRNgAw.png

WinBOLT - Custom Applications via Chocolatey

8IqLZR4.png

WinBOLT - Information

Tw9SUiJ.png

pyEiaJC.png

WinBOLT - Demo (View In 1080p)

WinBOLT - Download

(Recommended download through SourceForge, watch the demo video to see how it opens)

photo.jpg

As stated, it's open source and hosted on GitHub, enjoy!

github-logo.png

Please provide some feedback on WinBOLT, let me know what you think about it.

Thank you guys for viewing and making BC a thriving community of very talented minds.

I hope this makes someone's life easier on Windows as it has made mine!

-TechnicianOnline

Edited by TechnicianOnline, 13 May 2015 - 01:44 AM.

A Network isn't something you 'own' or 'have'; you may only wield it like the sword of Excalibur.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:59 PM

Thank you for taking the time to explain WinBOLT in detail.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:06 PM

Since this thread is used to discuss about the tool, here's what I suggest for the "Custom Applications" list.
  • Maintenance
    • PCDecrapifierPortable - Could also be under Malware Removal, opinion-based;
    • CCleaner;
    • Revo Uninstaller;
  • Malware Removal
    • Malwarebytes;
    • AdwCleaner;
    • Junkware Removal Tool;
    • ComboFix - A warning should be added for it;
    • RKill Portable;
  • Password Manager
    • KeePass - It appears twice, #6 and #28. Also, there should be an option between v1.x and v2.x;
  • Web Browsers
    • Google Chrome;
    • Mozilla Firefox;
    • TOR Browser Bundle;
    • Maybe add Opera?
  • Network Forensics/Pentesting
    • NMAP;
    • Angry IP Scanner;
    • Wireshark;
  • Productivity
    • Ditto;
    • Greenshot;
    • FileZilla;
    • PuTTY;
    • Dropbox;
    • TeamViewer;
    • WinRAR;
    • TeraCopy;
    • Remote Desktop Connection Manager;
    • GitHub on Windows;
    • HexChat;
    • Skype;
  • Text Editor
    • Atom Text Editor;
    • Notepad++;
    • Sublime Text;
  • System Enhancement/Utilities
    • ClassicShell;
    • f.lux;
    • Ditto - Could also be put there since it enhance the clipboard feature, up to you;
  • Virtualization
    • VMware Player;
    • VirtualBox;
  • Security Software
    • Malwarebytes - Could also be there;
    • EMET;
    • ClamWin;
  • Communications
    • Skype - Could be there;
    • HexChat - Could be there;
iTunes could be wherever you feel it fits the most. And simply look over the Cygwin installation procedure like we discussed on IRC. Other than that, I think it's good for now :P Also, do you add programs to the list based on if you can do an autonome installation (without user interaction) or not? If so, I guess more programs could be added to the list like more password managers, more Security Programs, etc.

Edited by Aura., 12 May 2015 - 09:07 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:39 PM

Aura, I've talking about removing ComboFix since day one with Tech here... :P

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:26 AM

If it was me I would remove it as well, since I guess members other than MRT will use that tool but eh :P

Another question, are AdwCleaner, JRT, RKill and ComboFix downloaded and ran from the Desktop with Admin Rights? Or you just download them on the desktop without executing them?

Edited by Aura., 13 May 2015 - 10:42 AM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 TechnicianOnline

TechnicianOnline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:27 AM

Aura, I want to sincerly thank you very much for taking the time to provide extensive feedback.

This is exactly why I wanted to present it here on BC, I will be using your suggestion and completely redesign Opt#7.

These applications that are installed, simply install and do not execute and do not provide custom settings, just default installations.

Alexstrasza, thank you for the feedback, I will be adding a warning menu on how important it is to know the dangers before installing ComboFix.

The day I posted this I was accepted to the Malware Study Hall as a Sophomore, because of this I will be delayed in the update of WinBOLT.

A big thanks to everyone that downloaded it and tested it out, I've got over 30 downloads since I posted it which is nice. Glad it was used/tested.

A Network isn't something you 'own' or 'have'; you may only wield it like the sword of Excalibur.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:17 AM

No problem Tech :) So you do only add applications that can be installed via "packages", without user interaction, right?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,093 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:36 AM

It's not so much that ComboFix is dangerous or harmful, but that it is a powerful and complex tool.

ComboFix was created as a specialized first responder tool for malware removal experts who assist others as it has the ability to deal with multiple malware infections and has built in removal functionality which makes it very powerful. ComboFix is intended by its creator to do two things: 1) automatically remove known infections and 2) provide a detailed system report similar to DDS that a trained expert can use to further investigate and remove malicious files and registry entries. ComboFix was never meant to be used as a general purpose malware scanner like SuperAntispyware or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware which scan individual drives or different folders on a computer for malware...nor was it designed to be a remote support tool.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 BryceW_Technibble

BryceW_Technibble

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:00 AM

Looks pretty handy. One thing I'd like to point out though is that since this is a tool for techs; Malwarebytes and CCleaners and Teamviewer's EULA's dont allow you to use them for commercial purposes unless you buy the tech specific version (I assume this tool will DL the free versions).

#10 Omiros

Omiros

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:47 AM

Hi, I have recently discovered WinBOLT and I think it is very interesting. I have one question though. I can not install any application of the section 7. Why is that so?

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:45 AM

Hi Omiros :)

Tech is currently busy IRL and hasn't been on BC for a long time, so I doubt you'll receive an answer to your question. However, I'll relay him your message via Facebook.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#12 TechnicianOnline

TechnicianOnline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:27 PM

Hey BryceW_Technibble,

That's correct, this will download the free version which will enable you to apply your commercial license should you have one.

Hey Omiros,

Try using option #1 first, then attempt option #7.

This is currently an old version I have on SourceForge and have released a more robust version called.

You can download it here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/winbolt/files/BETA/WinBOLTv3.3_B80.exe/download

Hey Aura,

You're correct, I've been working IRL and don't really touch my online accounts, including FB.

I found WinBOLT has caught some attention on multiple sites, I'm going to release a more stable version in the coming month.

Thanks for the comments!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users