Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading/Installing/Patching games is crushing my PC lately

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Manipulos

Manipulos

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:16 PM

I've played a few different online games this year and for the past few months I've been having major issues downloading and installing the game clients, and updating them when patches come out.  I'm wondering if I'm having some hardware issues.  I built this PC about a year ago so my hardware is up to date.  I have cable internet and speedtest.net came back with 7.5MBps, but of course I never get speeds anywhere near that when working with these game client patchers.  What's a good place to start looking for potential hardware issues, some type of benchmarking software?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can share.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boondox270

boondox270

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:48 AM

Check your processes. See what your cpu usage percentage is the highest for starts. Just watch it for a bit and see how it spikes. Are you using ethernet to pc or wifi? Are you directly hooked to ethernet or using a usb ethernet adapter?

If you are using wifi, you can still have a bad speed because wifi sucks. Make sure your firewalls are off. Avast is the worst when it comes to messing with you when it comes to firewalls. Best times to do a download to a massive client like a huge gaming client is when others aren't using the same service as you. Make sure you are the only source receiving the bandwidth. It can help your speed as well. 

#3 Manipulos

Manipulos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:08 AM

I'm directly connected to my router with a cat5e patch cord, and I don't use a firewall or antivirus, and I turned off the windows built in firewall.  I'm patching Star Wars: The Old Republic right now as I type this and my CPU usage fluctuates from 1% up to 15% as a high spike.  Memory is sitting around 2.2GB. 

#4 reaper0117

reaper0117

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:24 AM

So wait are you having download problems and/or installing problems?

If it's just the downloading that is the issue (ie real slow) it's possible you have either an outdated router/modem, either could be failing, or the router may just need a firmware update. I'm assuming you have both a modem and a router. 

Also what game client are you using? Are you just downloading the game separately or are you using steam/origin/battlenet? I know for sure you can set download speeds for steam in the settings. Origin and Bnet most likely have the same. 

As boon said above about avast, some AV's can cause problems with computers. A friend of mine for instance had an update with their norton and it cut out their internet completely. IMO a good AV would be either microsoft security essentials for a free one or VIPRE. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users