Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has Microsoft Installed Adware on Your PC to Promote Windows 10?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:10 PM

The countdown to Windows 10 has begun in earnest, and Microsoft is going to great lengths to ensure each and every Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 user is fully aware. We know that the Windows 10 upgrade will be free for those users, and Microsoft wanted to remind us with a handy notification service that appeared in the recent KB3035583 update.

Read Full Article Here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/microsoft-installed-adware-pc-promote-windows-10/

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:19 PM

I'll say it once again: this Windows Update is legitimate and it'll be used to create a future "Upgrade Advisor" like there was in Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7. Let me find that thread on Microsoft website and I'll link it. People have to stop being paranoid about that update. It's not adware.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 saw101

saw101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:32 PM

The link to the MS article will be most appreciated. Thanks Aura.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:36 PM

Not the one I was looking for, but here, at the bottom:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/kb3035583-installing-windows-10-using-windows/e8dc58af-18c4-4ab6-9906-02658b8f402d

9vVMNwy.png

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:41 PM

If you want to avoid this just don't install the updates KB3013816 (for windows 8.1 atleast, might not be offered to 7 users) or KB3035583 (offered to 7 and 8.1 users). Whether it is nagware is debatable, quite what it will do (it looks be designed to wait for a particular date or signal before activating, apparently) when it gets activated is unknown, but it is known that those updates are both connected to it. One of the things which will happen if you install KB3035583 is a new service will appear running in the services tab of task manager, this service is named GWX.

If you are concerned about suggestions of nagware or other things designed to make you upgrade from 7 or 8.1 to 10 then just avoid certain updates, for now those two are the ones to be avoided, other similar ones might be released at later times though so you might need to keep a careful eye out for them.

Edited by rp88, 13 May 2015 - 07:41 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:46 PM

You say that they are "to be avoided", yet there's no reason at all right now to avoid them. Unless you value the small space the new GWX folder takes on your system.

unite_blue.png

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,963 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:00 PM

Personally I see it like this:

Those two updates don't give security benefits, they aren't security ones, so you don't gain much from installing them and you don't vitally need them. They don't improve compatibility for users of particular hardware types, they don't improve the running of particular programs a user might have, they don't make windows easier or more convenient to use, they don't give the user more control and freedom with things, they don't make your computer run faster. They might do things you won't like, they might not, no-one is truly sure yet, and no-one yet knows what date it will be when they can be sure. So if those two updates don't do anything useful, and they aren't vitally important, and there are suggestions that they might lead to unpleasant things in future, why bother to install those two? I sort of see this as a "don't fix what isn't broken" matter, it IS NOT "those updates are evil, AVOID them like the plague!!", it IS "those updates won't do anything you want doing, though they might not do anything bad either, why BOTHER installing them?".

Edited by rp88, 13 May 2015 - 08:04 PM.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,537 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:04 PM

Yet these updates will still be used in the future for the Upgrade Assistant, so they aren't completely useless. I understand your point of view, but there's just no point in it. The big issue there is that they were said to be "Important" updates when they weren't and now everyone's tripping balls because of that. If you don't want to use the future Upgrade Advisor fine, but if you do, then keep them.

unite_blue.png

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:25 PM

Paul Revere did not generate excitement by riding his horse breakneck speed yelling "my cookware is coming, my cookware is coming!" There are some out there in Internet World that enjoy yelling "Microsoft is coming, Microsoft is coming." Guess it beats boredom.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,963 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:43 PM

"If you don't want to use the future Upgrade Advisor [remove/refuse them], but if you do, then keep them" Well expressed, that just about sums up all the arguments surrounding these updates.

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,720 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:04 PM

Points and counterpoints have been made. Thus the topic is now closed.

People can judge for themselves, whether to allow MS to add files to be initialized later or not.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users