Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC fans spin for half a second only, replaced motherboard and psu also..

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Kasumione

Kasumione

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:32 PM

Hi there!

A few months ago my pc was conducting a windows registry update in which it failed to complete as it closed itself down in mid process and then would not fire up again. The fans spin for half a second and then that is it.

I purchased a new power supply unit (seasonic gold 550w) which didnt change the situation and I also purchased a new motherboard (gigabyte z77 hd3) to narrow down the problem. 

My original set up was a corsair cx 450w psu, asus deluxe z77 motherboard, corsair vengeance 16gb, i7 3770k processor, wd velociraptor 1tb hard drive and a samsung dvd disc drive

I have removed the motherboard from the unit and have attempted to power it with only the cpu and one stick of ram and the same occurs, a split second fan movement. I removed and reapplied thermal compound, and reseated the heat sink in which I got a the same out come however the fan was spinning in half second intervals more frequently than previously. Previously it would spin and then nothing for another 30 seconds or more. Now I can power it with half a spin and then 5 seconds later another half a spin.

Could this be a problem caused by the registry update, I also have a microsoft heat sink fan, could this be it? Is it really that likely that a perfectly working cpu and ram suddenly becomes broken like this and so quickly, not even 2 years old and purchased brand newp. It was working perfectly before and as I understand if the cpu became too hot it would cut out until the problem was altered. I have narrowed it down to the ram and cpu/heat sink. Any help appreciated! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:48 PM

Pull out the cpu and check for bent /missing pins.  The only time I had a problem like this was when the processor was not seated correctly.  However I have heard that an incorrectly seated video card can cause the same problem.  The system is detecting some kind of power problem with the attached components which is why it moves for a second then stops.  I am going to say that the registry update did not cause the problem but was exacerbated by something else.  You said you pulled the motherboard out of the case and placed it out on a block of wood so Grounding cannot be your problem.  Also I have seen this if you do not attach a fan on the CPUFAN1 header.  Are you using water cooling?

#3 Kasumione

Kasumione
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:53 PM

No I don't have a water cooler, I also don't have any a separate graphics card either. I have attached a fan to the CPUFAN1 header and also disconnected it from there as well. It was running fine before it stopped functioning properly so I am not sure if it has anything to do with the individual connections however I have disconnected all fan and usb connectors to try to isolate the problem. Now the only thing I don't have is a replacement ram to check if this is the problem, but all was brand new and from reputable manufacturers. Is there a way to test the CPU on its own? :)

Edited by Kasumione, 12 May 2015 - 04:54 PM.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:58 PM

Well last thing you can try is to clear CMOS.  Be sure to follow the guide in your manual you do not need to remove the cmos battery... This is how I do it.

Unplug the PC

Jumper CmOS to clear

Push power button on pc

Plug PC back in

Try to power on unit it should beep at you

Unplug PC

Jumper CmOS to normal

Plug back in

Turn on pc

Also did you remember to plug in all the leads to the mainboard?  There is usually an extra 4 pin one nowdays.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 12 May 2015 - 04:59 PM.

#5 Kasumione

Kasumione
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:00 PM

Thank you I will try this now :) Yes I reconnected all of the power leads to the motherboard also

Edited by Kasumione, 12 May 2015 - 05:01 PM.

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:23 PM

I hope this worked for you.. the only other thing I can think of would be to try a different stick of memory if you have one.  As long as you double checked the processor pins.  Let us know :bounce:

#7 Kasumione

Kasumione
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:00 PM

Okay so have tried resetting the cmos and still the same issue, I have looked at the cpu and there doesnt seem to be any damage at all, is there anything I should be looking out for in terms of damage to cpu? also how could I test the cpu heat sink independently? pins ar not bent on both motherboards either  :)

Edited by Kasumione, 12 May 2015 - 07:00 PM.

#8 fade2black001

fade2black001

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:19 PM

If your CPU is still under warranty. I would RMA it. Do you know for a certain fact that the mobo and PSU are working fine and normally? If yes then it has to be the CPU. You ruled out everything else it can be.

#9 Kasumione

Kasumione
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:26 PM

Is there any noticeable damage I should be seeing on the CPU at all? how about a faulty heat sink? :s

#10 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:42 PM

It is really difficult to ' kill ' a cpu unless your overclocking goes really wrong so I don't think it is the CPU.  I wonder if you have a faulty power switch or power supply.  I have never had a faulty power switch on a case but I have heard of them.  You can use a flat head screwdriver to short across the power on pins on the mother board.  The last thing I can think of would be a bad power supply.

#11 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:54 PM

Okay I just read you got a new power supply already.  Do you get any POST beeps if you take out the memory and try to boot the system?

#12 Kasumione

Kasumione
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:05 PM

No it doest power up long enough to get ay post beeps, I have switched it on using a screw drive which still yields the same results of half a second power one and then nothing afterwards. I have never over clocked the cpu however when I took the cpu out I looked for damage and saw 2 gold chips instead of silver, I have no other processor to compare this too but I cannot see how it would of heated up like this when i have not over cooked. Could water damage or condensation possible be a cause? I had also disconnected my pc but the mains for 5 days..

#13 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:42 PM

I am sure you have been over this ... but double check again.  Are both  the power to the mainboard seated completely down and clipped? take them out and 're-seat them'

There is really no way to test for a bad cpu other than to put it into a motherboard you know is good.  Since this is a new motherboard we'd like to presume it is a good board but I don't know of any 'hardware cpu testers' Since we can't be for sure the motherboard has ever worked.  But since you have tried this CPU in two different motherboards with two different power supplies.  I could go out on a limb and say it could very well be the processor.

#14 Kasumione

Kasumione
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:09 PM

Thank you for your reply, I am confused as to what could have been the cause of the damage to the processor but will need to eventually try a different processor when I can afford it :( 

#15 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,294 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:35 PM

Unhappily semi-conductors, and your CPU is a semi-conductor, very seldom show any physical signs of failure. I have known plastic cased small signal and power transistors show external damage following catastrophic failure but never a metal cased one and I wouldn't expect to see external damage on a CPU unless it had been hit by a lightning strike or something similar. One area where CPUs can get damaged is that the pins, or some of them, can get bent and a close eyeball examination will tell you if this has happened.

Heatsinks themselves are virtually never faulty. They do get their fins blocked up with dirt and dust, and the thermal paste between the heatsink and the CPU can dry up but you have attended to these areas. You can get thermal shutdown of the system, including the fans, if the internal temperature of the CPU exceeds design limits but there is no way you would reach that temperature in half a second or so.

As far as I know, fans run on +12V but will spin quite happily on less than this. If you don't have an independent 12V power supply then 4 x AA cells will give you 6V connected in series. Disconnect the fan power lead from the mobo annd apply the +6 or +12V to the red line and 0V to the black one and the fan should spin for as long as you have the power connected. Obviously it will spin more slowly on a 6V supply but it will tell you if you have a fan problem or not.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users