Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What other programs should I add on top of McAfee Livesafe?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Dustygator

Dustygator

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:26 PM

My laptop came with a 1 year subscription to livesafe and I am wondering which programs would be best to add on top of that. I already have added malwarebytes and emsisoft anti-malware. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:24 PM

Hi Dustygator :)

Beside using an Antivirus and an Antimalware (even thought you use two, the two best if you ask me), it would be a good idea to protect the main door which a lot of malware take to enter a system: your web browser. What web browser do you use?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Dustygator

Dustygator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:47 PM

Most of the time I use chrome

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:10 PM

Well, you might want to add a couple of extensions to it to secure it. First of all, if you use a 64-bits version of Windows, you want to use the 64-bits version of Google Chrome. Since Chrome already takes up a lot of resources (due to the way it works, spawns a process for every tab, extension and plug-in), using the 64-bits version of it will reduce the resources usage by quite a bit compared to the 32-bits version. To get it, go on the Chrome download page, select Download Google Chrome for another platform and select Windows 8/7 64-bit.

As for the extensions, I would propose these ones:
  • uBlock Origin: A must have if you ask me, general purpose blocker which primarily target ads with no whitelists in it (unless you add your own exceptions). Since it's a general purpose blocker, it also blocks other scripts on websites, ones that could be dangerous/malicious;
  • Web of Trust: Extension which will append after each URL a little circle with a color: Green (Good rated), Yellow (Warning), Red (Badly rated). Basically, these ratings are made by WoT users to rate a website when it comes to its trutworthiness, safety, security, etc. Yes, since it's user-based there might be some websites with false ratings, but it still give you a good first impression. Really useful to stay away from websites known to distribute suspicious products, ads, etc.;
  • HTTPS Everywhere: Force HTTPS connections on website, really important in order to not fall to MiTM attacks or have your credentials sniffed when you transmit sensible information;
  • Ghostery: I mainly use it to disconnect myself from tracking websites so they don't get my information/data when I'm browsing the web. uBlock Origin also does that, but I used Ghostery first and since it focus on that aspect, it have more features than uBlock;
  • LastPass: Password manager. It's free for desktop use, you have to pay for the mobile applications (Windows Phones, Android, iOS, etc.). This way you can store all your passwords on a secured server and also use randomly picked ones (like 20 characters long, mix of numbers, letters, capitals letters, symbols, etc.) and you don't have to bother rememberding them, LastPass does it all for you;
Let me know what you think :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Dustygator

Dustygator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:33 PM

Thank you for taking the time to type this information and I will be using most of the extensions mentioned.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:03 PM

I also recommend using the following:To protect against the increasing threat of ransomware, I recommend:To protect your browser and help prevent advertisements & block websites, I generally recommend one or more of the following:

NoScript - NoScript FAQs
NotScripts for Chrome
Flashblock for Firefox
BlockSite for Firefox
Karma Blocker for Firefox <- intended for advanced users
Adblock Edge for Firefox
uBlock for Chromium, Firefox, and Safari a general purpose blocker which can block both ads and scripts

About Adblock Plus - Adblock Plus Overview
- Adblock Plus for Internet Explorer
- Adblock Plus for Firefox
- Adblock Plus for Chrome
- Adblock Plus for Opera
- Adblock Plus FAQs

Notes about Adblock Plus and NoScript:
Google, Amazon, Microsoft pay to get ads past Adblock Plus
Attention NoScript Users - Adblock Plus

Resources to help protect privacy:
The Best Browser Extensions that Protect Your Privacy
How to Start Your Browser in Private Mode
Disconnect
SafeIP
Blur (formerly DoNotTrackMe} <- for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer on both Mac and Windows
Ghostery <- for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer and Opera on both Mac and Windows
HideMyAss
Free Hide IP
Privacy Badger

Ghostery is a browser tool which allows you to block beacons, trackers, advertising, analytics and widgets.
- Ghostery download
- Ghostery - How It Works
- Ghostery General Options
- Ghostery FAQs
- How to configure Ghostery to stop Trackers
- Ghostery Community Forum

If you are already using a lot of web browser add-ons/plugins, there are other effective alternatives which can be used instead...unlike pugins which are specific to web browsers and sometimes cause issues, these alternatives work on most major web browsers such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, Avant, K-Meleon, Maxthon, Lunascape, Epic, etc.AdFender: Block Advertisements in Web Browsers without Plugins
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Dustygator

Dustygator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:32 PM

Thank you, I should have mentioned that had already downloaded cryptomonitor and malwarebytes anti-exploit after posting this thread. Is it necessary to have the other programs mentioned beyond those two mentioned to protect against ransomware?

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:33 PM

If you mean SpywareBlaster and WinPatrol, its totally up to you, but they can be good add-ons to your setup. I forgot to ask, what are your computer specs?

unite_blue.png

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:36 PM

Is it necessary to have the other programs mentioned beyond those two mentioned to protect against ransomware?

Not necessary but I highly recommend using both of them.

#10 Dustygator

Dustygator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:41 PM

Intel® Core™ i5-5200U Processor, (3M Cache, up to 2.70 GHz), 8gb ram, 1tb hardrive

​Sorry if my question was unclear but i was referring to cryptoprevent, hitman pro, and synmantecs.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:48 PM

​Sorry if my question was unclear but i was referring to cryptoprevent, hitman pro, and synmantecs.

I use and recommend them all.

CryptoMonitor and CryptoPrevent explained

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:48 PM

You don't have to use all of them, only one should suffice, or two depending on the ones you pick. And also that's good, you have good specs, so you should be able to handle all these programs at once smoothly. If you feel that they are slowing you down, let us know and we'll help you make the adjustments.

Edit: Talking about the programs listed here:

Y6KCqTt.png

Edited by Aura., 12 May 2015 - 07:49 PM.

unite_blue.png

#13 Dustygator

Dustygator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:50 PM

Thank you 

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:52 PM

No problem Dustygator, our pleasure :)

unite_blue.png

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:52 PM

HitmanPro.Alert is a security tool that checks browser integrity and alerts users when malware has intruded the browser. HitmanPro.Alert runs as a service and warns if the browser has been compromised and is unsafe to use for online banking or shopping. The alert will not block the malware itself from installing since the program is not designed to be an anti-virus or anti-malware tool. If suspicious behavior is detected, HitmanPro.Alert's CryptoGuard will block it...including the encryption of files. CryptoGuard is actually the name of the kernel driver component installed by HitmanPro.Alert that mitigates a crypto-ransomware attack...it is a filter driver which monitors the file system and looks for suspicious file operations at the file system level. When suspicious behavior is detected, the process's ability to rename, write or delete files is blocked and an Alert is presented to warn the user. So even while ransomware is active, CryptoGuard protects all documents and files on the computer and will block crypto attacks against them. To remove the malware infection, you have to download and run HitManPro or another anti-malware scanner.

HitmanPro.Alert 3 (with CryptoGuard) Release Candidate is a trial version. You can click on the Trial License button to try HitmanPro.Alert. If the button is greyed out, that indicates you have already tried a free trial. If that is the case, then you will need to contact HMP support if you want to test all Alert features. When HMP.Alert 3 expires, it will revert to a free version which lacks Exploit Mitigration and Risk Reduction.

- Alert 2.6.5 is not compatible with Windows 8.0 32-bit.
- Alert 3 RC is compatible with any version of Windows XP or later.
- Alert 2 blocks CryptoLocker, CryptoDefense, CryptoWall v1 and variants.
- Alert 3 blocks CTB-Locker, CryptoWall 2 and 3, and variants.
- Alert 3 is currently incompatible with EMET 5.2 but is compatible with EMET 5.1 or older.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users