Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think my Acer laptop has a virus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pauledwardwagemann

pauledwardwagemann

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:48 PM

A few weeks ago I kept getting messages that looked like it was from McAfee claiming that I needed to run a scan on my computer.  I clicked on the box to close, but it kept coming up periodically.  So then one time I just hit 'run the scan' button and after two seconds an error message came up.  So I closed the whole thing. 

I figured I must have caught some virus so I went to control panel on my Acer and I did a "recovery" which usually clears everything off my computer.  It take about ten minutes or so.  This time after a few minutes, it showed that it was 88% finished when my computer just shut down.  After a couple of seconds it then started back up. 

Since that time, every time I start my lap top it will turn on and stay on for about 3 or 4 minutes, then it will turn off and restart.

Can anyone give me an idea as to what I should do?

Edited by hamluis, 12 May 2015 - 02:11 PM.
Moved from Win 10 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:16 PM

Hello, and welcome :)

Let's take a look.

MiniToolbox by Farbar

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files
  • List Restore Points
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

===

Security Check by screen317
  • Download Security Check by screen317 from here or here.
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt. Please copy and paste the contents of the log in your next reply.

Regards,
Alex

#3 pauledwardwagemann

pauledwardwagemann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:51 PM

Okay, I'll try this and get back to you.  I should let you know that I am very UNSAVVY when it comes to computers.  My nine year old son understands computer stuff better than I do.

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:55 PM

Please tell me if you need detailed instructions :)

Alex

#5 pauledwardwagemann

pauledwardwagemann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:21 PM

Hi Alex, well after reading your reply about miniToolBox a question came to me.  How long does it take to download it?  The problem with my computer right now is that it keeps shutting down after 4 or 5 minutes.

I called a Tech support number provided by the manufacturer of my laptop.  They had me turn my computer on by hitting the power button then tapping on the F2 button repeatedly.  This was some kind of safe mode or something?  I don't know, but then the person I was speaking to informed me that the warranty on my computer has lapsed and if I want them to help I will have to pay $199!  So I said no thanking.

But the support person did kind of explain what it would take to check for a virus and get rid of it.  It all went over my head since I am not very computer savvy.

Also I took a good look at your directions and I didn't really understand them.  The first step however seems to be that I need to download miniToolbox - so I'm wondering if my computer will stay on long enough (4 minutes or so) for me to do that first step.

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:37 PM

Hi there,

MiniToolbox and SecurityCheck are very light - 4mins should be enough for you to run and post their logs.

Sudden shutdown can be caused by overheating. You might want to clean the interior of the machine and see if the problem persists.

Regards,
Alex

#7 pauledwardwagemann

pauledwardwagemann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:21 PM

Should I do one or the other?  Or should I do both MiniToolbox and Security Check?

#8 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:24 PM

Hi there,

Please do both as your current situation permits. At least do the MiniToolbox for me :)

Alex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users