Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ruger18

ruger18

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:48 PM

If someone had access to my home computer, could they set it up so that they could view everything I'm doing on their home computer. Also could they activate the camera.

Thanks in advance for any help.

ruger18

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 White Hat Mike

White Hat Mike

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:51 PM

Yes.

Information Security Engineer | Penetration Tester | Forensic Analyst

CipherTechs.com

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:07 PM

Yes. They could install what we call a "RAT" (Remote Administration Tool), which are backdoor-trojans, and then they could do whatever they want on your system, remotely. It would take a few seconds to drop the stub and execute it.

Edited by Aura., 12 May 2015 - 01:07 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 ruger18

ruger18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:50 PM

Thanks for your help.

Follow-up question. Would a reasonably good computer repair shop be able to remove it?

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:30 PM

There's a difference between general troubleshooting and malware removal. I know a lot of technicians that know only how to run automated scans, not how to check for infection signs or make sure that it's gone. Low level backdoor-trojans can be removed quite easily in my experience, but it's always down to the experience of the person that removes it. If you believe that you are infected with a malware, I would rather post in the malware removal section of BleepingComputer and get assisted there, rather than go to a repair shop, pay a lot of money for an uncertain result.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:08 PM

What makes you think someone has access to your computer?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 CG_5

CG_5

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:32 AM

Thanks for your help.

Follow-up question. Would a reasonably good computer repair shop be able to remove it?

Computer repair shops are costly and some of them don't even finish the job off.

Bleeping Computer is here for you, we will be happy to assist with your issue :)

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:35 PM

Restoring from a system image made before a computer got into an attacker's hands, or fully reinstalling windows should be able to remove any RAT like malware. A computer reapir shop could do a clean install for you, or If you have system images already made then they could restore you to one of those, but you could do either of these yourself for free rather than paying a shop. The malware removal section of this forum will let you tell if anyone has put anything nasty on your machine, whereas simply restoring from an image or fully reinstalling now won't ever give you answers as to whether you had been infected. Set up a thread in the malware removal section of this forum, see if anyone can find anything that indicates an infection, if they can't you're probably ok, if they can then either they can take you though removal steps, or you can use a system image or reinstall media (if you have either) to start from fresh. NOTE: infections can be put on remotely as well as by people with physical access to your machine, attackers from across the internet could control your camera, not only people with physical access. Without very careful checking of log files, file dates and times and things like that it might not be possible to tell how an infection (if you have one) arrived.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users