Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant Defrag.exe task in background, possible causes?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:34 PM

I run a windows 8.0 toshiba laptop and in the last few days I've noticed a constant Defrag.exe task running in the background. This is despite going into control panel and checking my fragmentation levels with dfrgui.exe, it gives 0% fragmentation on all of my four partitions (C:\, D:\, recovery, System Reserved). I cannot stop the Defrag.exe task in task manager, when i try to end it from the main "Processes" tab nothing happens, when I try to end it from the "Details" tab, I get an error message "Unable to terminate process, The Operation could not be completed, Access is denied". And the task does not end.

The exact details of the Defrag.exe process are
PID: 1316
Username: SYSTEM
CPU: 00
Memory: 124K
Command line: C:\Windows\system32\defrag.exe -c -h -o -$
Description: Disk Defragmenter Module

If I log off and log-on again, or restart the machine, or turn it off, take out the battery, reinsrt the battery and start the machine up, then this process is still running when I open task manager once logged in. I have seen this process running in the same way on three days in a row now.
I have looked at task scheduler and found it is scheduled to run weekly, and I have seen it in the past but it's never run for this long before.

Why would it be running like this if the defragmenting options/interface/analysis (dfrgui.exe) says I have no fragmentation on any disc?

I also ran a quick manual Defrag on C:\ drive, and after doing so this automated task was still in the background.

The exact properties of the Defrag.exe file are that it is: 177KB(181,248) in size, found in C:\Windows\system32\, created modified and accessed on july 26th 2012, has an original file name of Defrag.EXE, it's language is English (United States), it's product name is Windows Drive Optimizer, it's copyright is ©2012 Microsoft Corp. .

Does having this strangely running like this indicate problems with the drives? Does it indicate potential issues with system files? Imminent death of a hardware component?
Are there other less worrying ptoential reasons for it running like this for such a long time?
It isn't hogging resources or slowing anything down, the process running isn't giving me any problems but the fact it is running like this seems strange.
Thank You

Edited by rp88, 12 May 2015 - 12:34 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 01:14 PM

Just for giggles did you maybe disable it in startup and then reboot and see if it still runs.

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:25 PM

I hadn't tried that, no. But I'm more concerned about why it might be running than about the fact it actually is.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users