Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Reboots And Reboots

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 orekakoii

orekakoii

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 03:33 PM

Today I was using the disk clean up on my PC when in the middle of it (i know stupid move) I restarted my PC. I am running XP. My comp now reboots and reboots. It will get to the XP screen and a quick flash of the BSOD and it reboots continuously. It sucks! I have tried to repair windows, some stuff on recovery and nothing works. I was told that it might be the Hard Drive. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 04:56 PM

Hello and welcome to bleepingcomputer,orekakoii
let's try to stop the loop and see if we can get an error message

I suggest you first try to boot in Safe mode . . How to boot in Safe Mode

At the desktop click >Start
Right click on My Computer
Left click Properties
Click the Advanced tab
Click the Settings button (3rd down) under the heading: Startup and Recovery
Click to REMOVE the checkmark in the box to the left of: Automatically restart (under system failure)
then click the OK button,
and click the Apply and OK buttons at the bottom of the remaining window.
Hopefully instead of the rebooting loop, you WILL get a blue screen,
with details of what the error actually is.
If you cannot find a fix for the error detailed on the blue screen, post the information here,
and someone will likely have a fix or a link with information.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 nyiddle

nyiddle

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:11 PM

This same sort of thing has happened to me before. I've accounted it as a virus, although I may have restarted it during a checkdisk and just not remembered. When it happens, I'll usually just reformat since I backup all of my stuff often.

So what I'm trying to get at is boopme's answer will probably solve your problem, but if that doesn't work I'd resort to reformatting.

I remember the error so well because I've had to deal with it at least once on each of my computers. The blue screen, I remember, reads like 'Memory dump failure' or something like that followed my a series of 0's and x's.

Thanks, boopme. I'll try it next time it happens (and I'm sure it will.)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users