Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alienware 18 or MSI GT80 ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Omega Force

Omega Force

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:41 AM

Hello.

I’m looking to buy a laptop with a huge screen.

The weight of the laptop is not a problem.

I also don’t care if the battery life is poor, since I’m not going to use this laptop unplugged very often.

I’m not going to play any video games on it.

But I’m going to play chess and backgammon on it, and use powerful chess and backgammon softwares.

I’m going to watch a lot of videos, series and movies on it.

And on Firefox I’m a massive tabs user: I always have a few hundred tabs open at the same time. So the laptop better be able to handle all of these tabs without making Firefox crash too often.

I have searched on Google, and the only two laptops with a screen of 18 inches that I found were the Alienware 18 and the MSI GT80.

I have found two laptops with a screen bigger than 18 inches, but they were really old: 6 years old and 8 years old respectively. Thus it seems that laptops with a screen bigger than 18 inches do not exist anymore.

So my question is: should I go for the MSI GT80 or for the Alienware 18?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:36 PM

Both of these systems are Very good.  It is a very close tie between these two as far as performance goes.  I lean toward the MSI for a couple of reasons.

1.  The build quality of both is almost identical but the display on the MSI eeks out the Alienware by a small margin.

2.  With the Alienware you are paying a premium for having the 'Alienware' Brand where MSI is able to increase performance by a small margin by better parts.

3.  Because the Alienware is a dell built system it is going to come with quite a lot of bloatware where the MSI will have some bloat .. it won't have as much as Alienware's system.

4.  According to notebookcheck the MSI has a quieter idle nose and better sound quality compared to the Alienware system

So for the reasons stated above I am leaning toward the MSI.

#3 Denney@PicknShip

Denney@PicknShip

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:17 AM

YeahBleeping is right both systems are very good..

I don't know much about MSI or any articles comparing both products, but here is one product you might want to check out "New Dell Alienware 17 R1 17.3" Gaming Laptop i7-3.0GHz 32GB 1TB-SSD (4 X 256GB) NVIDIA GeForce GTX880M Windows 7 Ultimate".

#4 drewman19

drewman19

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:42 AM

i also agree with bleeping, but honestly i see both as kind of a waste they both have huge potential in terms of gaming and tons of power so if your gonna buy something top of the line just for having a lot of tabs open and watching netflix movies ect. seems like you could buy something much much cheaper with a slightly smaller screen but if money isn't a problem then by all means buy what you like

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users