Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition new HDD help please

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Vickory

Vickory

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:29 AM

I am using Windows  7 Professional 64 bit.

Some time ago I added a new 2TB HDD to my machine, which I've not needed to use until now. It appears in Disk Management as Disk 1 Basic 1863.02 GB Online & in the right pane as 1863.02 Unallocated.

I know it needs to be partitioned & formatted to be able to use it & the new simple volume wizard will do that, hopefully.

I'm just not sure how many partitions of what size I should make at this stage or if 1 full size is the way to go & I can't see a way to allocate a System Reserved space which my other drive has, so have not continued.

The main use was to be for backup files, but I may need to install windows to it, & would like to make provision for that now if that's a sensible thing to do, as my currently in use hard drive has registry corruption issues at the moment that need attention once I have backups in place on this new drive.

My currently in use HDD appears as in attached file Attached File  C drive snip.JPG   27.73KB   0 downloads

I think the partitioning & formatting must have happened automatically when I installed everything, which was a few years ago, as I can't remember the process at all... then again I often can't remember accurately!

Suggestions suitable for a beginner to follow would be much appreciated.

Thank you, regards, Vicki

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:33 PM

The System Reserve partition holds the Boot Manager code and the Boot Configuration Database.  It also reserves space for the startup files required by the BitLockerDrive Encryptionion feature.  If the new HDD isn't going to have a Windows operating system installed on it you will not have a System Reserve partition on the drive.

As far as partitioning the HDD, unless you have a specific reason for creating different partitions I would just format the drive and leave it as is.  You can always create new folders for different applications.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Vickory

Vickory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:29 PM

Hi dc3,

Thanks for your reply.

If the new HDD IS to have Windows installed on it do I need to make a System Reserve partition to accomodate it & if so how do I do that please?

Regards, Vicki

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:48 PM

The installation of Windows will create the system reserve partition.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Vickory

Vickory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:56 PM

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users