Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfering Data and Softwares From Old PC to a New One

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rotemx

rotemx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:17 AM

Hi guys, I have a pc with some delicate software installed and data on it and i want to transfer this pc to work as it is to a new pc (a much better one).

Old PC have 1 HD contains Win7 OS + Alot of softwares I need to stay installed as they were before.

New PC have 1 100+ GB SSD and 1 TB HD.

I want to create an image of the old pc and put it on the new one so it continue working as it was, without having to reconfigure 100+ softwares and data that is installed on it.

It is not a problem to just create a image file of the old pc and put it on the new pc's 1TB HD, but then I make no use of the ssd.

How do I "split" the partition so I could transfer the OS to the ssd and the software installed and data to the 1TB HD.

Any useful and creative solutions will be life saving! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:16 AM

"split" the partition so I could transfer the OS to the ssd and the software installed and data to the 1TB HD

Not possible; if you want to do that it will require a totally fresh installation. In addition, some programs will still load critical files on the system drive, so you really don't get the "clean" setup you want. The reason that the SSD is used for system files is speed; the boot up time is drastically reduced. In addition, the registry will be set up on your SSD, so when you install programs the hives & entries will be installed with the system, in this case the SSD. For example, I have removed over 2000 registry entries when deleting Microsoft Silverlight.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users