Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive is twice as full as it should be

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Demarticus

Demarticus

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:52 AM

I am using an Asus G74series computer

i7 processor, 16gb RAM, 64-bit Windows 7

I have a 279gb hard drive and I have been attempting to free up space as there is only 30.5gb free.

C: Properties is telling me that I am using 248gb of space but this simply cannot be the case. I have spent quite a bit of time on forums trying to diagnose the problem (Ran Disk Cleanup, ran CCleaner, tried to Defragment, I do not use system restore or backup, my recycling bin is empty, hibernation file is relatively small, etc)

I ran WinDirStat to see if I could figure out why I have so much space used up and the program only displays 120.5gb of space used up on my C: drive, which begs the question where is the other 128gb of space?

I am relatively tech savy meaning I can usually find the answers I am looking for in forums but it is baffling to me that my C: drive says I'm using 248gb when really I am only using about 120gb. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:06 AM

Have you checked windows disk management located in computer management found under administrative tools to see how much disk space you are actually using and how much reserve space system reserve is using?

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 12 May 2015 - 01:07 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Demarticus

Demarticus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:55 AM

I have looked at the Disk Management window to see if there is unallocated space and there doesn't appear to be any. as far as space taken up by system reserve I don't see any mention of system reserve in the disk management window. Which I mean to say that I don't think this is the solution. Thanks for trying to help out, still looking around of forums and through my settings for the culprit.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:24 AM

Okay I see that you used Windirstat, however there are other tools you could try that might help you get a better handle on what is occupying your disk space.

Check out this link for other tools that are available http://www.howtogeek.com/113012/10-best-free-tools-to-analyze-hard-drive-space-on-your-windows-pc/

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:56 PM

I am guessing that a vast majority of your space is taken up by system restore points?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,546 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:28 PM

, I do not use system restore or backup, my recycling bin is empty, hibernation file is relatively small, etc)

Post a screenshot from WinDirStat which reflects the top 10 space-use folders, please.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 May 2015 - 07:30 PM.

#7 Demarticus

Demarticus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:42 PM

http://i.imgur.com/8z42XhR.jpg

as you can see WinDirStat is displaying that only 100gb of information is on my C drive, where as my computer settings clearly states that 234gb are being used. The data numbers are a little different than when I posted last as I cleared some unecessary files and moved things around. However, the problem persists.

Edit: Not that this is relevant or anything, but is there a reason why WinDirStat is displaying that I have made changes to a bunch of my files ...in the future? (5/13/2015 aka tomorrow)

Edited by Demarticus, 12 May 2015 - 07:49 PM.

#8 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:50 PM

click the +sign next to <files> and post another screen shot.  This is a strange folder.  Why is there a block next to it? Do you know Ham?

#9 Demarticus

Demarticus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:56 PM

I mean I will post another screenshot to bate your curiosity but it's kind of irrelevant to my main issue. I am still looking for a reason for the missing 134gb.

http://i.imgur.com/H8Zq1UP.jpg

#10 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:14 PM

How to clear windows page file at shutdown.

Your page file is HUGE.  You may also need to run chkdsk /f from an elevated (administrator) prompt.

I would then run defrag on the drive.

#11 Demarticus

Demarticus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:25 PM

I appreciate your help! That being said the information you have provided will not account for the sizable chunk of memory that appears to have vanished. My computer defrags every week automatically, and the page file is data that IS accounted for. My query is in relation to data that is NOT being accounted for by WinDirStat.

#12 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:25 PM

You must have a system recovery partition on the drive that is 'taking up' the rest of the space on your drive.  You should be able to see this under disk management.  Can you post a screen shot of your disk management screen?

Edited by YeahBleeping, 12 May 2015 - 08:26 PM.

#13 Demarticus

Demarticus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:31 PM

I feel like I've been repeating myself quite a bit. I do not use system recovery, I already checked into that.

http://i.imgur.com/m59cTUt.png

#14 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:57 PM

Well you clearly have 3 different partitions according to disk management.

I am not sure why.  I would presume that when windows was installed (from the factory?) a HIDDEN recovery partition (has nothing to do with system recovery) is there to ' restore the system to factory defaults '

You have 25 GB of (hidden files possibly)

279.45 GB of OS files drive C:(which you have also installed all of the other programs onto)

and a 398.18 GB of drive D: with nothing on it.

Did you try running chkdsk?  Post the results?

Also I understand you feel like your repeating yourself but a picture is worth a thousand words when it comes to disk management and where did my space go.  You have a 16gb page file which is taking up a lot of the space that I am looking for in reality we are only missing about 100 gig.  Which I am wondering is in bad clusters or un-registered files hence the chkdsk

Edited by YeahBleeping, 12 May 2015 - 09:01 PM.

#15 Demarticus

Demarticus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:21 PM

http://i.imgur.com/GDVsG9r.png

Here is a screenshot of my chkdsk results which to me are almost complete incomprehensible. The reason I have 3 partitions is because that's how it came when I got the computer and I don't know enough about computers to do anything about it. I use D: for media files, word docs, and pictures which is fairly inconsequential, hence why it is almost completely unused. I use C: for programs and games which is a bulk of what I use the computer for.

Perhaps I am displaying how inept I am, but I kind of figured that D: Data couldn't have programs on it and could only be used for data. I would appreciate any help you're willing to offer in regards to my horribly awful file storage setup, however I would also like to keep the emphasis of this post on the mystery of the missing 100gb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users