Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

98SE won't install

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 librarianonloan

librarianonloan

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:30 AM

I've got an HP Omnibook 7100 that I'm trying to install WIN 98SE on (from a multi-licensed copy cd). I formatted the HDD. When I start it up with a 98SE boot disk in the cd drive, I get the BIOS info screen with a small red screen on top of it saying :

"Save to Disk partition not found

Save to Disk feature is disabled

Run Phdisk for information. FILE: create new.

PARTITION: consult manual.

Hit any key to exit."

No key I hit does anything, except F1 or F2,  F2 takes me to the Setup (yes, it is set to boot from the cd drive first). 

F1 takes me to Boot Menu. I hit Enter to accept the already chosen cd drive, & it goes to a blank screen with :

"Invalid system disk

Replace the disk, and then press any key"

Please, no matter how embarrassed I'll be, tell me what I've forgotten to do. It's been years since I've tried anything like this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,997 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:45 AM

From this linux thread.

When you reformatted the hard disk you erased the all paritions.  The HP (and
IBM IIRC) laptops use a sep. partition for suspend - writes the current state
to a file, then pulls it up when you resume.  reinstalling the partition
will, as Mircea mentioned, erase the other partitions on your hard drive,

Can you turn off Suspend in BIOS? I believe the reason you cannot install Windows 98 is because the Windows 98 CD does not have the boot files on disk. You needed to use what was called the Windows startup floppy. You can download and burn an iso file of a Window98SE boot disk here. You want the Win98SE_bootdisk.iso Burn the iso file to a CD using Windows 7 by  right clicking the iso file and select Burn Disk Image or using a burning program like Imgburn. After booting the disk, remove it and replace with your install disk. If you get the errors with the red box ignore it and hit any key.  You may have to do a cd command to find your optical drive and start the setup.exe program.

At the command prompt after booting the CD type

CD X:\   <enter>

where X would be a letter associated with your optical drive. Start at B.  Then do the dir command. You should see a setup.exe file in the listing. If the listing is too long type

dir | more   <enter>

Then at the command prompt type

setup.exe   <enter>

Your install should start. You formatted the hard drive as FAT32, correct?

#3 librarianonloan

librarianonloan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:03 AM

JohnC_21, I really appreciate the answer,...BUT ----- nothing has worked. I disabled the Power Mgmnt. Mode & now the red screen doesn't

show at the initial boot. The initial screen is now just the Bios info screen  with the F1 (resume) & F2 (Setup) options at the bottom like before. I 

downloaded the 98SE iso boot disk from the site you suggested. When I boot the laptop with the disk in the cd drive, I hit F1 at the first screen &

get  an blank  screen that immediately tells me "Invalid system disk" & to "Replace the disk, and then press any key". Every key press gives the

same message.

Any other ideas would be welcome.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,997 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 08:26 AM

Do you get a F1 & F2 message with no disk at boot? That would indicate some kind of problem.

From the manual here.

Press <F1> to resume, <F2> to Setup, <F3> for previous

Displayed after any recoverable error message. Press <F1> to start the boot process or <F2>
to enter Setup and change the settings. Press <F3> to display the previous screen (usually
an initialization error of an Option ROM, such as an add-on card). Write down and follow the

information shown on the screen

Disable Quiet Mode in BIOS to see Post Messages.  Page 3-16

#5 librarianonloan

librarianonloan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:37 AM

F1 & F2 do show up when the laptop is turned on - with or without a disk. F3 has never been displayed.

I don't know if it will help, but this is the BIOS screen that displays:

PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0

Copyright 1985-1997 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.

All Rights Reserved

Build Time: 05/24/99 18:02:09

Serial Number TW821C0888

Keyboard BIOS TS32I  Rev 203A.ROM

CPU = Pentium®  II  266MHz

00000640K System RAM Passed

0512K Cache SRAM Passed

System BIOS shadowed

Video BIOS shadowed

UMB upper limit segment address: F017

Mouse initialized

Fixed Disk 0:  IBM-DYLA-28100

CD-ROM:CD-ROM  CDR_U240

ERROR

0271: Check date and time settings

Press <F1> to resume,  <2> to Setup

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,997 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:15 AM

ERROR 0271: Check date and time settings

Are the date and time settings shown correctly in BIOS? Change them then turn off the computer. Reboot and enter BIOS. Do you still get the same time and date error? Are the time and date shown correctly in BIOS? If not, you may need to replace the CMOS battery. Some of the early notebooks had the battery soldered to the motherboard. I do not know if this is your case though.

Did you disable Quite Mode in BIOS?

Try the following. Boot the computer with the Windows boot disk you created. At the boot screen asking to press F1 or F2, press F2 to enter BIOS and change the date and time to your current date and time. Exit BIOS. The computer should now continue to boot the Windows boot disk.

#7 librarianonloan

librarianonloan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:40 AM

Quiet Mode is disabled in BIOS.

I corrected the Date & Time error & it no longer shows in the start up BIOS screen.

The time keeps correctly. However, the laptop does not proceed any farther into the startup,

except to show a PhoenixBios Setup Utility screen, then flash to a blank screen with the

"Invalid system disk 

Replace the disk, and then press any key"  message.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,997 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:50 AM

How did you create the Windows 98 boot disk I linked to? When you open the disk on another computer do you see multiple files or only one file with the iso extension? You can also burn the iso file using a program called Imgburn. This will write the iso file to CD. Just make sure to opt out of any programs Imgburn offers during install.

#9 librarianonloan

librarianonloan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:34 PM

Actually, I did both. I downloaded the files on my Win 7 machine. They came packed as a RAR file. I burned the "packed" files onto 1 CD,

& then "un-packed" the files & burned them onto a different CD. I tried to boot the laptop with each of them, several times, without success.

I really appreciate the time you're spending with me on this. Thank you.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,997 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:07 PM

No problem, glad to help. You should not unpack the iso file. If you have Winrar installed it may be associated with iso files. When you unpack the file you lose the ability to boot. After you burned the packed file to a CD you should see multiple files on the CD when you open it in Windows 7.  If not, then the file was not burned correctly. I would try creating a bootable disk with Imgburn and see if that works for you.

Edit: here is the download page of the various iso files. You do not want the one that says no ram disk.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 May 2015 - 08:18 AM.

#11 librarianonloan

librarianonloan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 02:26 AM

I burned another boot disk with Imgburn. This time the laptop booted up. I swapped the boot disk for the WIN98 retail disk, typed "setup.exe" after the cd drive letter & it took over. Everything was going well until the laptop shut off (from a low battery) during the setup. (I'm beginning to feel paranoid.) This is why I'm really not fond of laptops. I'll try again after the battery charges.

Thanks again for all your time & help. 

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:11 PM

During these kind of operations, please leave the ac power brick attached, battery life is lower than what is published.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#13 librarianonloan

librarianonloan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:56 AM

Normally, I would, but this laptop has a really "quirky" power cord -- if it isn't in an exact position, it might as well be unplugged.

But back to my ongoing nightmare,... I got WIN98 to load, B U T after about the 2nd restart, it asked for a couple of dozen driver  

files that weren't on the 98 disk. I "skipped" through all of them, but the laptop restarted & only progresses a short way into the startup

before it shuts itself off. I think I'll re-format again & start over (this time I'll write down the file names it asks for). 

I'm having fun now.

#14 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:37 AM

It's probably asking for hardware drivers.

weren't on the 98 disk

In my experience with Windows, which begins with '98 and ends with XP, this is normal. Windows only comes with a bare minimum of drivers, to allow the computer to work well enough for you to be able to install proprietary drivers.

This might be what you're looking for:

https://driverscollection.com/?H=OmniBook%207100&By=HP&SS=Windows%2098

If installation is manual, install the drivers for the motherboard (particularly the chipset) first, then install the other drivers.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,997 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:21 AM

Here is the HP driver support page for the omnibook 7100.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users