Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will Windows 10 Fix Corrupt Windows 7 Files?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 dennisinadelaide

dennisinadelaide

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:43 PM

Running scf has disclosed corrupt windows files that cannot be fixed.  I can try to identify them and then replace them from an OEM W7 disk, but I'm thinking this might be superfluous if Windows 10 will replace these files with fresh ones.

Does anyone know?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:04 AM

1. Mount the .ISO file by double clicking on it.

2. Open 'Windows Powershell' or 'Command Prompt' with Admin privileges (right click -> Run as Administrator)

3. Let's check the System Health first, by running these commands:

3.1 dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

3.2 dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

3.3 dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

4. I'm sure that 3.3 will give you an error stating that it could not perform the task. And now it's when the mounted ISO comes into play. Let's specify the file from the ISO so that we can fix it. Run the following command: (Notice that X must be the drive letter on which your system has mounted the ISO)

4.1 DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

5. Now let's repair any damage in the system files, shall we?

5.1 sfc /scannow

#3 dennisinadelaide

dennisinadelaide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:15 PM

I have problems with the first step in your process.  The disk I have does not have an ISO file that I can see.  See attached screenshot.  Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Attached Files

#4 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:29 PM

I have problems with the first step in your process.  The disk I have does not have an ISO file that I can see.  See attached screenshot.  Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Ok, Dennis, 1st of all one will not see the .iso file on the disc.  It is burnt from it but, what one sees on the disc is Windows 10.  However, that said, I would like you to start over and download the .iso for Build 10074 from HERE.  Now burn a (new) disc from it & install Win10 using that (new) disc.

If you are installing Win10 virtually a disc does not need to be burnt... just point the Create New Machine @ the .ISO

Cheers,
Drew

thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

#5 Go The Power

Go The Power

• BC Advisor
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 01:42 AM

Running scf has disclosed corrupt windows files that cannot be fixed.  I can try to identify them and then replace them from an OEM W7 disk, but I'm thinking this might be superfluous if Windows 10 will replace these files with fresh ones.

Does anyone know?

Hello,

The files will most likely not be able to be used from the Windows 7 disc unless the file is the exact same, and I dont mean the same name, size, icon etc. I mean the file SHA256-B64 needs to be the exact same.

I can help you with these SFC corruptions.

Can you please upload the following:

Export CBS folder

• Right click on the aa922834-ed43-40f1-8830-d5507badb56c_39. button
  • Click on File Explorer
  • Double-click on the C: drive, scroll down to, and double click on the Windows folder.
  • Find and double click on the Logs folder.
  • Right-click on the CBS folder, and select Copy.
  • Go back to your Desktop, right-click on it, and select Paste. You should now see a copy of the CBS folder appear on your Desktop called CBS.
  • Right-click on this new folder, and navigate through Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • A new file, also called CBS (CBS.zip), but this time with a different icon, will be created.
  • Please rename this file to CBS_{Insert forum username here}_{insert todays Date here}.zip For example "CBS_Go The Power_1803.Zip"
Please Note:: if the file is too big to upload to you next post please upload via Dropbox or One Drive

#6 dennisinadelaide

dennisinadelaide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:56 AM

I agree...Go the Power.  Zipped file is attached.

Attached Files

#7 dennisinadelaide

dennisinadelaide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:59 AM

Hi Drew.

I don't have Windows 10 installed, just Windows 7.  Running System File Checker came up with a corrupt file message that could not be repaired.  I was anticipating (hopefully) repairing Windows 7 until Microsoft's free upgrade to Windows 10.

#8 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 01:18 PM

Ok, Dennis, have it, now.  In that case, there are 2 choices... you can try to address (repair) the corruption OR save your data & just rebuild 7 so you know you have a healthy foundation from which you can Upgrade to 10.  Again, I recommend, save heaps of time & trouble & any doubts (regarding success Upgrading to 10) and just rebuild 7.

Cheers,
Drew
thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 13 May 2015 - 01:18 PM.

#9 Go The Power

Go The Power

• BC Advisor
  • 525 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:26 PM

Oh I am sorry! I totally misunderstood your question. I thought you were already on Windows 10 and wanted to replace windows 7 system files with corrupt windows 10 files.

Anyway this will fix the corrupt file :)

SFCFix Script

Warning: this fix is specific to the user in this thread. No one else should follow these instructions as it may cause more harm than good. If you are after assistance, please start a thread of your own.
  • Download SFCFix.exe (by niemiro) and save this to your Desktop.
  • Download SFCFix.zip, and save this to your Desktop. Ensure that this file is named SFCFix.zip - do not rename it.
  • Save any open documents and close all open windows.
  • On your Desktop, you should see two files: SFCFix.exe and SFCFix.zip.
  • Drag the file SFCFix.zip onto the file SFCFix.exe and release it.
  • SFCFix will now process the script.
  • Upon completion, a file should be created on your Desktop: SFCFix.txt.
  • Copy (Ctrl+C) and Paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of this file into your next post for me to analyse please
SFC /SCANNOW
  • Click on the Win7Orb_zps4dae3b32.jpg button. Inside the search box type in CMD
  • Right click on CMD => Choose Run as Administrator
  • Inside the Command Prompt windows copy and paste the following command SFC /SCANNOW
  • Please wait for this to Finish before continuing with the rest of the steps.
Convert CBS.log to CBS.txt
  • Click on the Win7Orb_zps4dae3b32.jpg button => Inside the search box copy and paste the following command:
    cmd /c copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"
  • Press Enter
  • Once this has completed please go to your Desktop and you will find CBS.txt, please rename this file to CBS_{Insert forum username here}_{insert todays Date here}.txt For example "CBS_Go The Power_1803.txt"
  • Please upload CBS_{Username}_{Date}.txt to this thread.
    Please Note:: if the file is too big to upload to you next post please upload via Dropbox or One Drive

#10 dennisinadelaide

dennisinadelaide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:12 PM

Go The Power, attached are the two files.  It appears that the autochk.exe file has been successfully replaced, but another has taken its place in the corrupt corner!!!

Cheers,

Dennis

Attached Files

#11 Go The Power

Go The Power

• BC Advisor
  • 525 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:00 AM

One fixed, another two to go. These files have been a major PITA.

SFCFix Script

Warning: this fix is specific to the user in this thread. No one else should follow these instructions as it may cause more harm than good. If you are after assistance, please start a thread of your own.
  • Download SFCFix.exe (by niemiro) and save this to your Desktop.
  • Download SFCFix.zip, and save this to your Desktop. Ensure that this file is named SFCFix.zip - do not rename it.
  • Save any open documents and close all open windows.
  • On your Desktop, you should see two files: SFCFix.exe and SFCFix.zip.
  • Drag the file SFCFix.zip onto the file SFCFix.exe and release it.
  • SFCFix will now process the script.
  • Upon completion, a file should be created on your Desktop: SFCFix.txt.
  • Copy (Ctrl+C) and Paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of this file into your next post for me to analyse please
SFC /SCANNOW
  • Click on the Win7Orb_zps4dae3b32.jpg button. Inside the search box type in CMD
  • Right click on CMD => Choose Run as Administrator
  • Inside the Command Prompt windows copy and paste the following command SFC /SCANNOW
  • Please wait for this to Finish before continuing with the rest of the steps.
Convert CBS.log to CBS.txt
  • Click on the Win7Orb_zps4dae3b32.jpg button => Inside the search box copy and paste the following command:
    cmd /c copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"
  • Press Enter
  • Once this has completed please go to your Desktop and you will find CBS.txt, please rename this file to CBS_{Insert forum username here}_{insert todays Date here}.txt For example "CBS_Go The Power_1803.txt"
  • Please upload CBS_{Username}_{Date}.txt to this thread.

#12 dennisinadelaide

dennisinadelaide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:15 AM

Thanks, but when trying to download SFCFix.zip via the link, I got this:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@files.thetechcookbook.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Cheers,

Dennis

#13 dennisinadelaide

dennisinadelaide
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 06:00 PM

Woohoo!!  This worked and SFC found no integrity violations.

Go The Power!

Thanks very much indeed.

Dennis

Attached Files

#14 Go The Power

Go The Power

• BC Advisor
  • 525 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:04 AM

Your welcome :)

#15 Msradell

Msradell

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:28 PM

BC  Could you please look at the results of my system scan and give me some suggestions.  SFC /scannow results tell me I have a corruption that it can't repair.

Attached Files

Edited by Msradell, 15 May 2015 - 04:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users