Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Keeps Randomly Freezing.. Can't Figure Out Why

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Zaros

Zaros

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:49 PM

I've literally tried everything. I downloaded MSI afterburner, I've constantly monitored the temperate of the video card.. I'm currently running a system scan on the admin cmd prompt. Nothing is fixing this. First it started happening when I was playing a game, where everything would completely freeze for about 1 second and it would do it maybe once every 10 minutes. The sound would freeze, the gameplay, everything. If there was any sound, it would just get repeated over and over until the freeze stopped. But now it's gotten worse, it does it every 2 minutes when I'm playing, and it'll even do it when I'm not in game. It'll do it when my computer is just sitting on google's homepage, and if I have skype up or music on, it'll just freeze the sound and make it repeat over and over for 1-3 seconds. It's making playing games impossible and aggravating the bleep out of me. Please, please help. I don't want to buy another video card offline just to find out it had nothing to do with the card and then I can't return it. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:41 AM

Since I see you are having issues with system freezes, I am sure that having you run any programs that will offer us more information about your system will only cause more system freezing issues, so as best as you can, please give us as much information about your computer system as possible.

What would be the brand name, model number and whether it's a desktop or laptop computer.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 12 May 2015 - 07:53 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Zaros

Zaros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:54 PM

It's an Alienware Aurora ALX, not sure what the model number is, but there's a random barcode sticker that says 6DCC8P1.. I think that's the Dell service tag, and the computer is a desktop.

#4 fade2black001

fade2black001

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:22 PM

Go to start>run and type in dxdiag and press enter. This will bring up all the info about your system

#5 Zaros

Zaros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:12 PM

I did, it won't show up. Says there was a problem getting the information.. I hit bypass, still won't load anything. Just says "x" going down a line for every category.

#6 Zaros

Zaros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:21 PM

Oh, nevermind, I figured it out, but it still doesn't list my model number.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:48 AM

Hello, I found your system setup by searching your service tag number at the Dell support website page.

If you are continuing to have issues with system freeze ups, I have to ask you if you have recently inspected your computer system's internal components for dust build up?

I would focus on any of the cooling fins related to the CPU heat sink, also inspect all cooling fans for dust accumulation that might be preventing free air flow and even check the GPU heat sink (if it has one) for any issues of dust build up.

For your convenience, I am providing a link to a service manual that should help you get around better inside your computer system for inspection of components that help keep your system running cool and stable. You will need the latest installation of Adobe Reader to view this service manual  http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_alienware_dsk/alienware-aurora_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Before you venture into your computer's internal areas and touch anything, I strongly advise that you disconnect the computer from the power mains and after doing so, before you touch any of the internal components, that you first place one hand on the metal chassis (casing) of the computer tower to help neutralize static electrical energy from your body. Doing so, will help prevent any damage you might cause your computer system from potential static electricity your body might contain.

If you see any signs of dust built up in any areas of your computer system, this can cause issues with system shut downs and freeze ups. That dust has to be removed for the safe and stable operation of your computer system.

There are safe ways to remove dust without the risk of potential damage, if you need further guidance regarding that task, please feel free to ask me.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:59 AM

Adding one more link to this topic that contains various information and useful tools for this particular model, this information only relates to this computer system mentioned in this topic and should NOT be used by others that are reading this topic for support for their own computer system.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/servicetag/6DCC8P1/configuration

Bruce.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:03 PM

Please do the following.  This can be accomplished in a very short amount of time, but it the computer freezes just wait till it frees itself and continue.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

When you inspect the inside of the case make sure that the graphics card is properly seated and the two power cables are firmly attached.  I would also make sure that the RAM is properly seated as well.  When I do this I remove the cards and reinstall them to be sure they are firmly seated.  A loose card can cause the freezing, so can overheating.  The Speccy snapshot will provide us with temperatures and other indicators.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users