Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic Windows Updates Disabled After Every Reboot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Delphinus

Delphinus

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:37 PM

Less than two months ago did a clean re-install of Windows 8 Pro 64 bit, updated to 8.1, and installed all the following updates. At first everything was fine, but for the past couple of weeks or so I keep getting a message in action center that I should turn automatic updates on, even if I turn it on, next reboot it's back to being off again. I decided to run 'sfc /scannow' and it found errors that it could not repair. I then ran 'dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth' and while that fixed the errors that sfc could not, my problem persists. I'm not sure what to do next. If any PC specs are needed to help diagnose my issue, I have updated my profile so it reflects my current PC configuration.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:06 PM

What is your installed security program and have you run any other scans?

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Delphinus

Delphinus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:52 PM

Should have mentioned that was the first thing I tried. I use Bitdefender Total Security 2015. It's scan and also those from Malwarebytes and MBAR found nothing.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:00 PM

W8 isn't my strong suit so I'm going to bow out before I make a suggestion that might make things worse

Sorry

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:24 AM

You may have a look at this article. :)

http://windowsinstructed.com/windows-8-8-1-and-10-update-problems/

#6 Delphinus

Delphinus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:05 PM

I went though the steps in that link and while I haven't completely narrowed it down, I'm well on the way now. In a clean boot, Windows Updates work fine including automatic updates staying enabled. I can even re-enable all services and some of the 'startup' items (I currently have Bitdefender, Nvidia, and Razer (mouse) startup items enabled) and everything else turned off and have not gotten any warnings about windows update being turned off. Guess I'm going to need to go through the rest of them and figure what the culprit is.

#7 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:20 PM

Although it requires a bit of work on your part, I am glad to have found a link that can help you. :)

#8 Delphinus

Delphinus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:23 PM

Well, I didn't mess with my startup apps at all since my last post, but I just now launched the Blizzard Battle.net launcher to play a game, and immediately the action center message about windows updates appeared. I find it really strange that this would be causing my issue, but I suppose I'll try doing a clean re-install of the launcher and see if that helps.

#9 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:24 PM

If you can recreate then you know for sure that is the issue....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users