Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dedicated Server - IP Address and Firewall Help!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:11 PM

Hi all, 

I have recently gotten a server from Hetzner, mainly because they are cheap and I only want it to do some testing with. I have gotten a server from them and I have installed Windows Server 2012 R2. By default the IP address and settings have been picked up via DHCP. 

The Subnet mask is: 255.255.255.192

The IP address given by DHCP is not private and is starting with 188.....

I have previously played around with Azure and Windows Servers on that, it is easy to open/allow ports, configure NAT etc on these. I dont seem to get those settings here, I assume that due to the actual Servers IP address being the public facing IP address then this means that there is not real firewall/security in place between my server and the internet other than the firewall built into windows?

Essentially what I am looking to do is use my Win Server 2012 R2 install as HyperV. Then I will install a bunch of VM's on that and setup some environments that I can test with. For example VM's for an RDP server, for an exchange server, domain controller, IIS web server etc...I have taken my Hypervisor and installed a win server VM, when i launch the VM it is getting a 169... IP address. I know there is nothing to give this VM DHCP.

I am wondering if i make all the servers have static IP addresses on a class C network starting with 192.168.1..... then this would be OK, but the default gateway that Hetzner have provided is not in that range so I am not sure where I can go from here.

Any ideas? Would I need to purchase some more public facing IP addresses or can i somehow make this work, i REALLY hope this makes sense! 

I have never really worked with servers that have public facing IP addresses on them before. My experience is usually Servers with private ranges with routers that have port forwarding/NAT setup on them... There is no router here for me to configure and no settings, help please :)

Thanks!! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:54 PM

You have no router which begs the question of why don't you have one?

You can't use a gateway that does not exist in the server assigned subnet [class C] so that will not work if you want internet access to the server.

You are correct that only your server software is what is protecting the server from the internet. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users