Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seagate Momentus 5400.6 imminent failure?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NotAnEngineer

NotAnEngineer

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:07 PM

First, my apologies for trampling on another individual's drive test instructions.

I installed the GSmartControl package as instructed and ran the short self test which produced no errors/logs, and then ran the extended self test.  That test said it would take 2 hours to complete, but it was finished in a few minutes after 10%, with a "completed with read failure" result.  The error logs still say there is nothing wrong with it.

As a comparison I ran the same test on the Toshiba I'm typing from, which is older and has original hard drive and there are no errors on either the short or extended test.  So does the GSmart test mean indeed the Seagate in the HP is indeed failing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:11 PM

Hi NotAnEngineer :)

If the GSmartControl test cannot complete, then there might be an issue with the drive and it could indeed by failing. You could always check the SMART attributes with Speccy (not that precise) or CrystalDiskInfo (the portable version without any ads).

Edited by Aura., 11 May 2015 - 02:12 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:13 PM

Hi there,

When you run GSmartControl, in the Attributes tab are there any red/pink lines?

Regards,
Alex

#4 NotAnEngineer

NotAnEngineer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:43 PM

Alexsz, the graphic for the GSM on the HP with the failing drive has two pink lines near the bottom, row numbers 197 and 198, "current pending sector count" and "offline uncorrectable", respectively.

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:45 PM

Hi there,

Current Pending Sector Count and Offline Uncorrectable Errors are indeed signs of a failing hard drive.

So yes, I would say that your Seagate drive is in imminent failure.

Regards,
Alex

#6 NotAnEngineer

NotAnEngineer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:51 PM

Perhaps this is a relevant side issue:  A couple of months ago the "esc" key stopped working.  I do not have any graphics programs on it (like CS, which I've read extensively can make an escape key disappear).  However, a couple of years ago some water got on the keyboard and for a little while, any key that was entered produced an array of interesting things -- everything except what I wanted it to say.  I left it open in a dry warm area and the anomalies went away.  Then, just a few months ago, like I said the "esc" key can only be accessed by the on-screen keyboard.  For this reason, I have been hesitant to do much except use it to put in a movie or make/receive a skype call.  I am afraid of installing any new hardware or software, as a result.  I could buy a peripheral keyboard for it but then I will have bought this computer 2 or 3 times and it was really just supposed to be a backup, not an ongoing money pit.

#7 NotAnEngineer

NotAnEngineer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:54 PM

Hi there,

Current Pending Sector Count and Offline Uncorrectable Errors are indeed signs of a failing hard drive.

So yes, I would say that your Seagate drive is in imminent failure.

Regards,
Alex

Thank you for that precise diagnosis!

I posted another about the escape key but am thinking i should make it a separate topic.  Though it's related to the replacement of this hard drive, maybe i should add it to the topic about the solid state drive. 

#8 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:59 PM

If you need a failure code for Seagate warranty purposes, you can burn and boot Seagate's Seatools for DOS. Most Seagate retail drives have a 3-5 year warranty. Check your Seagate Warranty Status

I agree with Alex, a drive with pending, uncorrectable, or reallocated sectors should be considered unreliable at best.

It would be a good idea to copy anything you need off the drive immediately.

For the keyboard, usually replacement of the keyboard is the solution to dead keys from water damage. They are fairly inexpensive from eBay, you will need the HP spares number from the sticker on the underside of the keyboard.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#9 NotAnEngineer

NotAnEngineer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:14 PM

If you need a failure code for Seagate warranty purposes, you can burn and boot Seagate's Seatools for DOS. Most Seagate retail drives have a 3-5 year warranty. Check your Seagate Warranty Status

I agree with Alex, a drive with pending, uncorrectable, or reallocated sectors should be considered unreliable at best.

It would be a good idea to copy anything you need off the drive immediately.

For the keyboard, usually replacement of the keyboard is the solution to dead keys from water damage. They are fairly inexpensive from eBay, you will need the HP spares number from the sticker on the underside of the keyboard.

Wow well I didn't even consider warranty aspects, I still have the box it came in but none of the warranty literature.  Thanks for that info.  I don't store anything on it at all since the original drive failed with zero retrievable data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users