Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can not manually set IPv4 address but DHCP is working [Win 7]

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 3d1l

3d1l

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:41 PM

Hi,

I'm using windows 7 on a Dell Latitude laptop. I was using two broadband movil modems (sierra wireless and ZTE). I'm no longer using those devices so I unistall the software and drivers from the laptop. After that I run CCleaner and some registry keys related to the modems were removed. After that I can no longer change the TCP IP IPv4 paramenters of the NIC (I can not set an static IP).

The NIC is working perfectly with DHCP (I'm writing this from the laptop). I tried several thing but none of them restore the functionality.

1) I removed and installed the driver of the NIC.

2) I type the commands; a) netsh winsock reset catalog, B) netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log.

3) Just in case I run full scan with my anti-virus and malawarebytes. Both reports negative results.

When I go to the NIC status I select Internet Protocol Version 4 but the [unistall] and [properties] buttons are dimmed/disable. The [install] button is active. When I click on it I tried to add the protocol but I get a windows that saids: Could not add the request feature. The error is:The data is invalid.

I also check the wireless connection and I have the same problem. So it seems that all network interfaces have the same issue but all of them works with DHCP.

How can I restore the IPv4 functionality to set parameters manually. Again everything works fine with DHCP.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TechnicianOnline

TechnicianOnline

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:07 PM

Seems like a bad registry entry.

Open: RUN (WIN + R)

Type: regedit

-Hit Enter

Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

Scroll past to show this value: DevicePath

The value should be %SystemRoot%\Inf and of type REG_EXPAND_SZ.

Edited by TechnicianOnline, 11 May 2015 - 02:07 PM.

A Network isn't something you 'own' or 'have'; you may only wield it like the sword of Excalibur.

#3 3d1l

3d1l
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for your responce.

I checked that value and it have the same information that you provided. I also run the commands; netsh interface IPV4 uninstall [reset the laptop] netsh interface IPV4 install [reset]. Same situation. Only DHCP works and properties button is dimmed/disable.

Edited by hamluis, 11 May 2015 - 03:16 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:21 PM

Try doing a system restore.  Use a restore point prior to uninstalling the software and drivers.

You should not use the registry cleaning option in CCleaner.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 3d1l

3d1l
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:52 PM

Ok the system restore did the trick, Thanks dc3.

The only issue is that it also brings the drivers and software [plus registry entries] of the broadband modems. I know that we are getting a little bit out of topic but, If I can not use registry cleaners, how do I remove everything related to those devices that I'm no longer going to use? That's means that after using and unistalling a software you have to left all the garbage that the software left in the registry? either you like it or not.

What admin tool can safely remove all trace of a particular software?

Edited by 3d1l, 11 May 2015 - 02:53 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:26 PM

What ever is left is so minuscule that it isn't worth bothering with unless what ever remains is interfering with other software.  Most software manufacturers will provide a uninstall tool if there are remnants which could be problematic.  You might want to consider using the Disk Cleanup Tool.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 3d1l

3d1l
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:58 PM

dc3 again many thanks.

This thread is closed since the system restore resolve the issue. After the restore I repeated the unistall of the drivers and software and this time I remove the registry entries manually. I got the same error. Again the system restore fixed it. The culprit are the sierra wireless entries and beleive me they are not miniscule. It left hundreds of entries everywhere, bloating the registry, even entries that define COM ports that I simply don't want to be defined in the computer. Even if it is miniscule (wich is not), what if you want to erase all traces of a particular software in your computer?

I will open another thread asking how to safely clean your computer for all traces of uninstalled software.

thanks.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:05 AM

FWIW:  The only way to safely (?) remove all traces of a given program...are to manually use regedit to remove registry entries...and manually search for every file entry made by said application..

"Safely" implies a level of knowledge in the user...what is safe for 1 person is not safe for another person.

Typically...users believe that programs like Revo Uninstaller and other "uninstaller" or "registry cleaners"...will do this "safely"...but we have seen evidence that removal of registry entries by "registry cleaners/optimizers" is NOT necessarily "safe" for the user...complete...or exercised with wisdom.

Louis

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:31 AM

Editing the registry should not be done unless you know what you are doing.  If a mistake is made while editing the registry it can render the computer unbootable.

Even if you know what you are doing you should backup the registry, or at the very least the specific key you are going to edit.  If you don't know how to backup a key I would suggest that perhaps you aren't ready to edit the registry.

If you are going to go ahead and make a edit I would suggest that you use a program like Tweaking.com Registry Backup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users