Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New To linux and New To Geekhood

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:01 PM

Hello All,

Right now as I write, I am downloading Linux 17.1 Cinnamon. I am very new to this whole computer thing, I do not play any games on my computer. I just use my computer to surf the internet, have fun and play music. I am thinking about setting up Linux in a virtual machine, so I have looked into this. I guess that I will be using VirtualBox, unless somebody has a better suggestion. The only reason I am doing this is just for fun. I want to play with Linux and get a feel for it and maybe learn a few things. I am running Windows 8.1 right now, which I love, and I intend to upgrade to Windows 10 as soon as it comes out. But I am looking for advice and suggestions since I have not set up Linux yet, still downloading. I know my computer should be more than capable of running a virtual machine, I just built this machine and it has 16 Gb of RAM and a Haswell i5 4690 CPU. Any advice is welcome.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:13 PM

Hi again Rocky!

My suggestion is to first either use the Linux Mint 17.1 as a "Live CD" first and play with it a bit to see if you like it, or the better option is to download VirtualBox for Windows and install it via that. If you are truly wanting to use Linux as your main distro then getting used to it and trying it first is a good idea. You can always dual boot (which I do since I play games) but again, I would run Linux Mint in a VM environment first to see how you like it and get the feel for Linux. After that I would dual boot. If you mostly surf the web and play music, you probably could get away with using Linux as your full OS if you like it enough.

Do you use any apps that are Windows specific?

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,432 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:23 PM

I do not know which of my apps are Windows specific. Of course Office 2016 is Windows specific, but I use foobar2000 to play my music, dbPowerAmp to rip my music and decode my music, Photoshop for my photo hobby, Cyberlink and Audacity, also for music. I guess that is most of my software. I want to get experience with Linux just in case Microsoft goes to a subscription model for their OS. At that point I will boycott Microsoft and use freeware exclusively. I am still learning about computers, so I am going slow. Also, I am old and this is all new, but very fun.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 TechnicianOnline

TechnicianOnline

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:25 PM

As DeimosChaos stated above, it's always the best option to use any distro as your primary to get the full effect and maximize your experience in it. I just started using Linux about 5 months ago, currently on the same distro Linux Mint 17.1 (rebecca). I thought about doing duo boot to keep my previous files and settings but I ultimately just backed up my data and using Linux Mint as my primary. I then placed my backed up data on a VM inside of Linux.

I almost never have to use my Windows VM now since I attempted my very best to do all my Windows work on Linux. It's worked well, just a little tip... I haven't yet found a complete alternative to Microsoft Outlook. I use Mozilla Thunderbird with the plugin "ExQuilla". It works but doesn't provide all the features of Exchange.

If you're in a corporate environment and use your personal laptop for work, be ready to have it pre-setup. You don't want to be caught in a situation where Linux can't run something simple like ConnectWise/LogMeIn or TeamViewer. Even though you can run these in Linux, it does take some time to pre-setup and have working.

A Network isn't something you 'own' or 'have'; you may only wield it like the sword of Excalibur.

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,432 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:36 PM

Thanks for the advice. No corporate environment for me, just a personal desktop computer for fun and games. I do love my Outlook, so I do not know if I can ever shake that. Old habits are hard to break. I share my computer with my wife, so I do not want to spring too much on her at once. Linux might be intimidating for my wife. She is comfortable with things the way they are.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:41 PM

I do not know which of my apps are Windows specific. Of course Office 2016 is Windows specific, but I use foobar2000 to play my music, dbPowerAmp to rip my music and decode my music, Photoshop for my photo hobby, Cyberlink and Audacity, also for music. I guess that is most of my software. I want to get experience with Linux just in case Microsoft goes to a subscription model for their OS. At that point I will boycott Microsoft and use freeware exclusively. I am still learning about computers, so I am going slow. Also, I am old and this is all new, but very fun.

There are plenty of apps to play music and rip and decode music, so that is not an issue. The problem you will run into is Photoshop, Office, etc. There are open source applications that can do a lot of the same as those. Gimp is a Photoshop type applicaiton, Open Office is a Windows Office type application. They work well but it all depends if you want to switch or not. I know some people prefer the way Windows specific things work. As much as I hate having to use Windows I can't stand using Open Office (or Libre Office). I like MS Word better. Though Google Docs does work quite nice.

Thanks for the advice. No corporate environment for me, just a personal desktop computer for fun and games. I do love my Outlook, so I do not know if I can ever shake that. Old habits are hard to break. I share my computer with my wife, so I do not want to spring too much on her at once. Linux might be intimidating for my wife. She is comfortable with things the way they are.

If that is the case I would definitely try it out with a VirtualBox environment first then. Then take it from there, dual boot, etc.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,432 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:10 PM

Thanks guys. Right now I am having my first problems. The user manual for Linux says to check the MD5 before I try to load the program. I have followed the directions, I have downloaded md5sum, but I still do not know how to ensure that everything is good before I precede to the next step. Thanks guys for everything.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:00 PM

I just built this machine and it has 16 Gb of RAM and a Haswell i5 4690 CPU. Any advice is welcome.

Nice PC you will have NO problems running Linux on that, You will also be able to run Windows in Virtual machine.

I never bother doing the MD5.

Do you know how to burn an ISO to DVD?

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

#9 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:39 PM

I am downloading Linux 17.1 Cinnamon. I am very new to this whole computer thing, I do not play any games on my computer. I just use my computer to surf the internet, have fun and play music. I am thinking about setting up Linux in a virtual machine

Good plan. I have a Linux Mint 17.1 - Cinnamon vm too. Any specific reasons for your choice of Linux OS?

I guess that I will be using VirtualBox, unless somebody has a better suggestion.

Personally I have both VMware Player, and VirtualBox installed, but I prefer and mostly use VMware Player. However I usually recommend VirtualBox to others, because it's more feature rich and generally better suites peoples needs. The snap-shot feature is a huge asset when fiddling around. I'd suggest going with VirtualBox.

The only reason I am doing this is just for fun. I want to play with Linux and get a feel for it and maybe learn a few things.

Cool.

I am running Windows 8.1 right now, which I love, and I intend to upgrade to Windows 10 as soon as it comes out.

I have Windows 8 on my main machine, and I to intend to upgrade to Windows 10 though it will probably not be immediate.

I am looking for advice and suggestions since I have not set up Linux yet, still downloading. I know my computer should be more than capable of running a virtual machine, I just built this machine and it has 16 Gb of RAM and a Haswell i5 4690 CPU. Any advice is welcome.

For people running vms I usually suggest Lubuntu, because it has LXDE as the desktop environment. Virtual machines usually don't get great graphics performance so the lower a desktop-environment's graphics requirements the better. Cinnamon isn't as vm friendly (in terms of graphics) as LXDE, but in my limited experiences it runs fine.

I am having my first problems. The user manual for Linux says to check the MD5 before I try to load the program. I have followed the directions, I have downloaded md5sum, but I still do not know how to ensure that everything is good before I precede to the next step.

I assume you are referring to pages 9 and 10 of "http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation/user-guide/Cinnamon/english_17.1.pdf"? Those steps are for verifying under a Linux operating system, but you are running Windows. You can either find a third party checksum tool for Windows, or you can boot up the Linux Mint iso in a virtual machine, open the terminal-emulator, and type "md5sum /dev/sr0", and then compare the outputted string to the one on the Linux Mint website.

WVz9xHh.png

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,432 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:03 AM

Thanks for all of the advice. I will be setting things up today. I will use this thread for further advice and help if I get stuck.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,432 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:32 PM

I am having problems. My goal was to get Linux up and operating and me on Firefox today, but when I open up Linux in my VirtualBox, all I get is a static picture that says Linux. From the VirtualBox, I have restarted Linux many times by pressing my right control + delete keys, and the screen shows that Linux is rebooting, but I still get nothing but a static picture that says Linux. What am I doing wrong?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,432 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:38 PM

Linux%20Mint2_zpsi23ftmso.png

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,432 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:51 PM

Obviously any problem that a person encounters with computers, somebody else has already experienced. I Googled my problem and got a lot of hits, I saw a YouTube video on how to fix it, and now I am up and running on Linux.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,283 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:06 PM

Rocky Bennett, what was the problem?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#15 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,432 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:56 PM

I ran into a problem in VirtualBox wherein I could not run Linux because it was not a recoginzed OS. I can't remember the code I encountered but basically I opened up Linux Mint as an Other OS, not as a Linux OS, and it fixed the problem.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users