Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I crazy for wanting to replace my Win 8.0 with Win 7?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:49 PM

I currently have a Win 8.0 desktop with a failing 1Tb hard drive.

The computer is not booting up very reliably at all. I have 2 new 1Tb hard drives, one of which I was going to clone my existing Win 8 onto. It now seems that the drive might not be in good enough shape to get through a clone procedure.

Since I really don't like Win 8.0 at all (for various reasons) I am now considering giving up on Win 8 and installing a new Win 7 version onto a new hard drive. Then work at getting the data off the Win 8 drive as time lets me. The data isn't very important and the computer isn't used but once or twice a week, mostly for non-on-line gaming and basic internet use (dial-up).

I was thinking of getting Win 7/64 bit Home Premium or Pro.

The one feature of the Pro Version I am wondering about is it's capability of 'running existing Windows XP Productivity Applications'. I don't think I use any of those applications so does this mean I don't need Pro?

Also, I have a Win 7 notebook that I seldom use but have found that my Win 8 machine seemed to run many of my old XP era shareware/freeware applications better than the Win 7. Is this true or just my imagination?

Any other reasons to stick with Win 8 (or not) would be helpful to me.

My main issue with Win 8 is that it seems to be geared towards always being connected to a high speed internet provider, which I don't have now....and huge on-line only downloads.

Thanks

Edited by brian2009, 11 May 2015 - 12:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:58 PM

Hi brian2009 :)

First of all, if you suspect your hard drives to be failing, would you like me to help you test them so you can see if they are indeed failing or not?

Since I really don't like Win 8.0 at all (for various reasons) I am now considering giving up on Win 8 and installing a new Win 7 version onto a new hard drive.

Do you have Windows 8 or Windows 8.1? A fully updated Windows 8.1 (with Update 1) performs much better than Windows 8. Users that complains about Windows 8 usually move to Windows 8.1 with Update 1 and have no more complaints afterwards. For those who wants a Start Menu back, they can use ClassicShell, which is free and totally customizable. You can even have the Windows 7 logo in it.

http://www.classicshell.net/

The one feature of the Pro Version I am wondering about is it's ability of 'running existing Windows XP Productivity Applications'. I don't think I use any of those applications so does this mean I don't need Pro?

Also, I have a Win 7 notebook that I seldom use but have found that my Win 8 machine seemed to run many of my old XP era shareware/freeware applications better than the Win 7. Is this true or just my imagination?

The Windows 8/8.1 compatibility mode works better than the Windows 7, but for some specific programs, the one from Windows 7 is better since it's "closer" to Windows XP.

Any other reasons to stick with Win 8 (or not) would be helpful to me.

There's no reasons to give you really, it's down to your personal preference. Both versions are really good to use, you just have to see which one you prefer (like the most). Windows 8.1 is also more light-weight than Windows 7, it's the "best" argument I can give you.

My main issue with Win 8 is that it seems to be geared towards always being connected to a high speed internet provider, which I don't have now....and huge on-line only downloads.

You don't need to be connected to a "high speed Internet connection" to use Windows 8, not at all. Plus if you prefer, you can use a local (offline) account instead of a Microsoft (online) one if you wish.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 LiquidC

LiquidC

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:09 PM

Hi,

have u considered w 8.1.

i prefer w 8.1 for this reason:

1. better performance

2.boot time

3.Task manager display more information and start up application, really comfortable.

4.When w 8.1 transfer data it  handles better the name collision(it put them under the list)

5. the native funcition for iso!!!(i always found daemons and other iso mounter really uncomfortable)

#4 NotAnEngineer

NotAnEngineer

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:11 PM

I don't know about brian but I would like to figure out how to determine if it's a hard drive that is failing!

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:15 PM

3.Task manager display more information and start up application, really comfortable.

In Windows 7 and prior, the "Startup" programs could be accessed via msconfig, so the fact that it moved from msconfig to Task Manager isn't really a big chance. The big change is that now it display close to no information on the program, mostly where it's launched from, and what command is used to launch it and this was really, really useful for troubleshooting and malware removal purposes.

5. the native funcition for iso!!!(i always found daemons and other iso mounter really uncomfortable)

By that, LiquidC means that you can natively mount and unmount image files (.iso) into drives to access their content.

I don't know about brian but I would like to figure out how to determine if it's a hard drive that is failing!

I'll post the instructions if brian needs them.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:15 PM

I wouldn't mind the help in diagnosing the Hard Drive issue.

I think it's ailing because:

1. Not lately, but a few months ago it booted up ok but there was a very noisy metalic noise, spin related. This would last less than a minute and go away.

2. The Win 8 won't even boot anymore. It get's stuck in a 'Preparing Automatic Repair' screen and stays there. It does not bootup from the Win 8 dvd either, although it did once the other day. I saved it's restore point but the next day it only got to the 'preparing auto repair' screen.

I use Classic Shell. I;m on 8.0 because the download for 8.1 is too large for my dial-up.

Thanks

................................................................................

I've run a few HDD test programs. It showed 8 bad sectors. I have the Hitachi drive test download but can't run it as it won't boot up anymore. It's an Hitachi drive.

I do get into a screen where it says something like "a usb device was failing or shut off improperly". it offers 'Try Again'  which does nothing or F8, which does nothing.

Edited by brian2009, 11 May 2015 - 01:23 PM.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:17 PM

Personally, if I had the choice between Windows 7 and Windows 8 (going to Windows 8.1 isn't an option), I would go with Windows 7. Way too many bugs, issues and things that bothers me in Windows 8, but all of these are fixed in Windows 8.1 and the Update 1.

Follow the instructions below for both of your hard drives.

JcJ91sx.pngGSmartControl
Follow the instructions below to test your hard drive health with GSmartControl:
  • Download GSmartControl and save it on your Desktop;
  • Extract the content of the GSmartControl .zip archive and execute gsmartcontrol.exe;
  • Identify your drive in the list, and double-click on it to bring up it's window (usually you'll find your drive by it's size or it's brand name);
  • Go in the Perform Tests tab, then select Extended Self-test in the Test type drop-down list and click on Execute (this test can take a few hours to complete);
  • Once the test is over, the results will be displayed at the bottom of the window. Please copy and paste these results in your next reply;
  • Also, go in the Attributes tab and if you have any entries highlighted in red or pink, copy and paste their name in your next reply (or take a screenshot of the GSmartControl window and attach it in your next reply);
    info_failing.png

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#8 NotAnEngineer

NotAnEngineer

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:29 PM

ok i'm a certified idiot, i saved it to a data card and the paste worked ok

Edited by NotAnEngineer, 11 May 2015 - 01:33 PM.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:34 PM

It works for me. Here's the link to the download page:

http://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.net/home/index.php/Downloads

The right executable is the one for Windows.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#10 NotAnEngineer

NotAnEngineer

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:38 PM

Raw Read Error Rate prefailure, spin up time prefailure, reallocated sector count prefailure, seek error rate prefailure, spin up retry count prefailure, everything else is suffering from old age. 

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:39 PM

NotAnEngineer, did you run the test or not? These values will already be there as you open the GSmartControl application, but if you run the test, they'll change accordingly.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#12 NotAnEngineer

NotAnEngineer

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:44 PM

NotAnEngineer, did you run the test or not? These values will already be there as you open the GSmartControl application, but if you run the test, they'll change accordingly.

Maybe I'm too dumb for this.  I extracted the files, executed the gsmartcontrol exe file, and it gave me those attributes.  Also I ran the 60 second test and it detected no errors.  I'm going to run the extended self test but says it will take a couple of hours.

Edited by NotAnEngineer, 11 May 2015 - 01:47 PM.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:45 PM

Follow the rest of the instructions that are written after executing the GSmartControl executable.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:49 PM

NotAnEngineer...is NOT the OP of this topic...and needs to initiate his own topic and return the focus of this topic...to the OP.

Louis

#15 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:29 PM

I'm working on getting the hdd test done, but it won't bootup, even using the Win 8 dvd.

I also just tried to run my Linux Puppy Live CD with no luck. This version should run without a hard drive but it didn't. It starts to load but doesn't. It seems like it gets to the point where it looks in the hard drive for saved info then stops...when it should just continue to load in a 'bare bones' functionality.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of problem..besides the hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users