Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd 'addition' shows up with "Devices and Drives" on "This PC" ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:24 PM

I've had a "local disk" show up from out of nowhere in "Devices and Drives" on "This PC".  It is labeled:  ESP (K:)

It shows 444 MB free of 496 MB.  I have not plugged in any new devices.  This is a fairly new Dell computer that came with the hard-drive split into "OS (C:)" (141 GB free of 226 GB) and "DATA (D:)" (2.39 TB free of 2.72 TB).  I put most all new personal folder and files onto the latter.

If I double-click the "ESP (K:)" drive I get a message that I don't currently have permission to access this folder.  When clicking "Continue" to allow permanent access to the folder - that brings up a new message that I've been denied permission to access the folder and need to click the "security tab" link to gain access.  I have NOT tried this yet.

With any other device or drive I can right-click to bring up a menu of options, including properties.  When I right-click this new drive, my monitors all flash 'blue'; the background images reset; and after that "File Explorer" has simply closed.  (I have a triple monitor setup.)

Running paid versions of Malwarebytes and Avast.  Scans come up clean.

Downloaded current versions of TDSSKiller and Spybot.  Scan come up clean.

What are the options of what is happening here?  How do I focus in what it is and the cause?

Thanks.

D_Blackwell

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:32 PM

$%@%  This started yestereday, but just since posting the original question, another new entry has appeared in "Devices and Drives"  --  WINRETOOLS (L:)  (429 MB free of 749 MB).

I can double-click this 'drive' and there are a number of folder and files.  One of the folders is labeled "Logs" and holds a number of files like this:

FactorySetup.dll.20150423103443_0.log

A couple of the 'loose' files appear to be Dell files though I haven't messed with any of it.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:44 PM

The ESP is the EFI System Partition and the Winretools in the Windows Recovery Partition. Both are legit.

Did you make any changes or run any tools recently that would have caused them to appear?

#4 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:35 PM

"Did you make any changes or run any tools recently that would have caused them to appear?"

Not a thing that I can think of, no.  There has been no need to run tools, because there hasn't been anything be concerned about.  I'm diligent about keeping Malwarebytes and Avast updated, though they mostly update themselves because I have the paid versions of both.

I can't think of any changes because I don't make system changes very often at all.  I would need specific reason for that.  My computer is an investment (couldn't work without it), but though I'd like to be more geeky I don't pretend that I have any business fooling around with most things.  Ha!

Two things though, which could, maybe be triggers with a delayed effect? ?

Recently, the computer, typically in use all day, every day - was not started a single time for a little over a week.  I had TURP surgery, which was followed with serious complications.  When able to fire the computer up again, Avast about had a heart attack when it realized it was not up to date.  Funny at the time, and no noticeable issues followed.  Still . . . ?

Second, there was a power outage here several nights ago.  I run most everything I can througn an APC BR1500G BACK-UPS RS 1500, which is connected to an APC BR24BPG Back-UPS Pro External Battery Pack.  Despite plenty of capacity, it is my personal policy to shut down all programs and then the computer itself during an outage of more than a minute.

(Electrical 'blips' are not uncommon in this area, so the power can be out for just a second or so - one reason that I am strongly invested in power backup.  I've lived here for eleven years without incident. I would hope that my extra caution with keeping an even and uninterrupted power supply has helped me without my ever knowing. 'Blips' are much less common than they used to be.  Haven't had one in several months at least.  Actual power outages lasting any time at all are very, very rare.)

HOWEVER, when power was restored and I went to restart the computer - it absolutely did not want to start up.?  During the outage I had closed each open program one at a time while under battery power and then shut down - as usual.  But after that I would do a startup and during the startup process (sometimes before entering the password, sometimes after), the computer would shut itself down.  This happened several times.  The first time that I thought I had a good start, having entered the password, and having selected "Desktop" . . . it shut itself down after a couple of minutes - just when I was thinking I had a good start.

The next time that I thought that I had a good start, everything did go perfectly fine and I have been using the computer as usual without a single hitch in any startup.  There has been a few days now between the power outage event and these drives that have suddenly shown up on the "Devices and drives" list - with a couple days between the appearance of the first and the appearance of the second - which literally happened immediately after asking the question about the first one.  I had that screen open on the right-side monitor and caught a blip of movement out of the corner of my eye.  I looked over and there was WINRETOOLS.

I don't mind their being on the list if legitmate but generally hidden 'drives'.  I'll just leave them alone, but wonder if there is anything to be worried about overall that should be dealt with.?  I did run the Dell system-and-hardware testing-and-diagnostic tool, which takes a fair while to run, and it passed all tests.

I have long had 'show all hidden folders and files' checked.  It's something I've done with every computer, but this seems to be a different kind of thing from what that does.

SOME available but unused drives are commonly on the list, such as BD-ROM Drive (D:) and CF/MD (F:), and the like.  I just ignore them, of course, and they run fine when needed and actually in use.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:23 PM

I do find it odd that they should start showing up out of nowhere.

If you go into Disk management you should be able to remove the drive letter so they do not show anymore.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:25 PM

It happened to me not a long time ago. I was removing malware from a system, and out of a nowhere after a reboot, some drives got letters attributed automatically. The EFI Recovery partition and the Recovery partition. I have no idea of what triggered that. I just removed their letters and left the laptop be, but it was still really odd.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users