Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need some advice on upgrading my computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Floki

Floki

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:02 PM

Hey guys, I'm not that up to date one what the best hardware is and im not sure what to upgrade. I really wanna play The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on ultra with at least 40 fps, preferably 60+
I've got a GTX 780 w/ ACX Cooling
ASUS Sabertooth p67 (1155 Socket)
Intel core i7-2600k 3.40GHz (1155 Socket ofc.)
16GB ram
Corsair TX V2 750W Powersupply
and an SSD.
I know my motherboard and cpu are really out-dated, and I'm thinking of replacing them with AMD FX-9590 and ASUS Z97-A, but im not sure. I could also buy another GTX 780 and run SLI, but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to replace the outdated stuff first. Could really use some advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:27 PM

I know how you are feeling... I am tempted to drop $500 (US dollars) on a new GPU just to max out the Witcher 3... lol

The 780 is top 10 best GPUs out right now. I really don't think you will need to upgrade anything. Even though you have a bit older CPU it is still powerful and shouldn't be bottle necking your GPU. I would just wait til it comes out and see if you can max it, I have a feeling you will be fine though.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:29 AM

You cannot use an FX processor in a Z97 motherboard since an AMD processor won't work in a motherboard designed for Intel processors.  You're using a Sandy Bridge processor, I don't really see much of a need to update that.  Assuming you are using a non Ti version of the GTX 780, that GPU is about 15% or so slower than a GTX 970 and 25% slower than a GTX 980.  SLI and Crossfire are often more trouble than they are worth with drivers and possible scaling issues.  Try to use a really powerful single GPU if at all possible.

I suggest getting The Witcher 3 (Available with a discount from GoG if you already have one, or both, of the first two installments) and seeing how the performance is.  At that point, you can decide what, if anything, needs to be updated.  Probably the GPU would need to be upgraded.

3939.png

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:02 PM

Your system exceeds the recommended pc requirements so I do not think you need to upgrade anything.  Whether you get the 60FPS you are looking for remains to be seen until the game comes out and some benchmarks exist.

#5 abegailventis

abegailventis

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:57 AM

I agree with the fact that upgrade is not required, all you need is the addition of memory.

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:21 AM

I downloaded Witcher 3 yesterday... My 6950 can play it but it's not as smooth as I would like... so I just bought the Nvidia 980 lol. The cut scenes are horribly laggy. But I believe this is a bug in the game that needs to be fixed.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:45 AM

I downloaded Witcher 3 yesterday... My 6950 can play it but it's not as smooth as I would like... so I just bought the Nvidia 980 lol. The cut scenes are horribly laggy. But I believe this is a bug in the game that needs to be fixed.

Have you seen the GeForce Optimization Guide?  It's available here.  There is a large patch coming as indicated here, so that may fix some of the optimization issues. 

3939.png

#8 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:54 AM

Have you seen the GeForce Optimization Guide?  It's available here.  There is a large patch coming as indicated here, so that may fix some of the optimization issues. 

Yeah I read about some of the issues with the game itself. I was able to get it running smoothly on my 6950 with some adjustments, even the cut scnese run okay now. I just used it was an excuse to buy a new card though... lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users