Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A new motherboard!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 fishlotus

fishlotus

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:22 AM

Hi guys. My home computer is getting old and very very slow so I need to fit a new motherboard.

I cant afford a new pc as money is very tight so my other option is to upgrade and start by fitting a new motherboard then upgrade other items. It has loads of space on the hard drive and plenty of RAM

Can I ask how many problems will this face?

More details to come.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:00 PM

Welcome,

Changing the motherboard will change a number of things that will upset the operating system. It might be easier to backup your data and do a clean install of the OS and programs.

If you retain your CPU you may not find a new mboard to match. Try to upgrade the CPU at the same time. This should give you a longer service period for the system

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Highjinks

Highjinks

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:03 PM

You need to look at quite a few different things when you're shopping for a new motherboard. First thing is the CPU socket. To be honest though, if you're computer is quite old, it may be better to go for a CPU/Motherboard combo purchase. Generally you can find deals with them combined, and it's less of a headache trying to find a motherboard that will work with your CPU, and still be able to upgrade in the future. 

#4 fishlotus

fishlotus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:35 PM

Dicke

Many thanks for that.

I have actually made one good machine out of two and did a new install using Windows XP (because I have all the disks and programs that run on it already but its not very respondant, thats why I figure it needs an updated motherboard.

Highjinks

Many thanks for your reply.

I think it may be better to do as you say and buy a combo.

The big question is how on earth do you select the correct one? There must be thousands out there. My first thought is Ebay because cost but no guarantee. I could take it to a PC World but they charge a fortune and if I do get the right one I can install it myself anyway.

Just to put you in the picture:-

Windows XP Professional V2002 Service pack 3

Pentium III 803 MHz

1.25 GB Ram

127 GB memory

12 GB used space

#5 Highjinks

Highjinks

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:44 PM

Yeah, those computer specs are REALLY dated. i doubt you'd be able to find a new motherboard that would run that processor. Depending on the memory, that may not even be compatible either. even further, the hard drives may be IDE, and to be honest i doubt that would work either. You're essentially looking at getting a while new computer setup. Even a bottom of the line computer setup would have better specs than what you're running at though, and you can get them cheap on clearance four a couple hundred dollars. 

*Edit - Like i said though, i'm not entirely sure about the memory or the hard drive configuration. so i'd wait for someone else to chime in before taking any steps. 

Edited by Highjinks, 11 May 2015 - 01:50 PM.

#6 fishlotus

fishlotus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:08 PM

Highlinks

Many thanks for you input.

Yes I know its old I used to use it at work then we were made redundant so I bought 2 machines for home. Since then I have bought 2 new laptops ones broken the latest one my wife uses all the time so I thought sod it I am going back on my old one even though its XP!!! I spend more time waiting for it to do what I want it to do. Pulled most of my hair out now!!! LOL

Anyway, so you are suggesting I get hold of a bundle and cobble up a new machine then?

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:13 PM

Before you buy the CPU/Mboard combo make sure that the rest of your components will be compatible. The RAM is old enough to be out of date and the HDD may not work either. Most of the current boards are designed for SATA drives. Yours is most likely IDE. Adapters are available but you are just adding another possibility for problems going that route. And you're adding cost to the project.

[you're learning why I keep my hair cut short, sometimes very short]

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:20 PM

I think that if you buy a cheap Dell or HP at Wal Mart for $300, you will be just fine. Your memory is very small and dated, and the cost of a new Windows disc is an added cost to your project as well.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 fishlotus

fishlotus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:59 PM

Rocky Bennett

Cheers for that.

I have a problem that I am in the UK. I have just realised that this web site could be a USA site, are ther any UK members on here?

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:00 PM

Sorry about my recommendation. How about buying a cheap computer at amazon.uk?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:34 PM

FWIW:  Something to explore, possibly...Amazon seems to have a number of refurbished systems that have come off-lease...for what I consider reasonable prices.  I purchased a couple (just for the heck of it) during the last month or so and I believe they offer a decent alternative for those who aren't ready to build or buy new.

Louis

#12 fishlotus

fishlotus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:21 PM

Hi again guys

Many thanks for all the responce Ive had.

I would still like to try to upgrade my machine and as money is so tight and I am not willing to buy a second hand one or new for that matter. I never like throwing away working items so it looks like I am stuck with this one for now. Unless I can persuade the wife to invest in a one can't see that happening though.

Cheers guys all the best.

#13 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:35 PM

Maybe if you tell us how much you are willing to spend we can help assist you better.

Here is a 'new' socket 370 board.  I have never bought from these folks but that doesn't mean anything.

You may have to purchase a new version of windows unless you have a full version of windows xp.

You will need to get some arctic silver or similar to replace the heatsink compound with when you move the chip.

Be careful to clean off the old compound thoroughly and to ground yourself when touching computer components.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users