Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Haven't got a clue about computers!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 orangecross

orangecross

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:02 AM

Hi, I hope you will all excuse my ignorance on technical matters!  I work voluntary in a home office for a non-profit charitable company helping adults with a brain injury. Our office set up is quite complicated but is as follows:-

I have Virgin Media broadband in my house and office. The Virgin Media Superhub is sited in the office with a Netgear modem running off it through to upstairs as the VM Superhub wifi range doesn't reach to the upstairs rooms.

In the office there are two desktops, a laptop and 2 wifi laser printers which are all networked and have a high level of security installed. These run off the VM Superhub.  My family all have the usual playstations, smart TV's, ipads, etc, which are connected to the Netgear modem upstairs.

Recently, I have been having to reset the Netgear Modem quite regularly as the family are moaning about the wifi running slow or internet pages 'timing out'. 

My main concern is the 2 desktops in the office.  They are running extremely slowly.  The pc's are only 18 months old and were custom built running Windows 7 Enterprise.  I often open a blank document in MS Word and type a 13 page transcript only to find it won't let me save it and I get a 'Read-Only File' message.  When I check the file permissions, it is set to full control. I also keep getting a 'Set variable temp' message and 'Autosave file is postponed for normal' which randomly pop up when typing in MS Word.

.Adobe Reader Premium has been uninstalled and reinstalled countless times and still won't open PDF files unless they are downloaded and saved first and then right-clicked on 'Open with Adobe Reader'.

The F-Secure security runs daily and has not found any virus so far.  The PC's are set to backup to an external drive daily but I can't seem to verify that they are backing up correctly and it worries me as the whole organisation is on there, SAGE payroll, policies & procedures, accounts, invoices, etc.. The problems seem to be getting worse and I'm running out of ideas. A friend has suggested that as the main PC takes quite a while to load Windows - and sometimes it doesn't load at all and requires a restart - it might be a corrupted Windows install and it would have to be reinstalled, but I don't want to do that myself in case I lose everything that's on there.

Any PC software repair companies in the Liverpool area available to call out and charge a reasonable price to sort it all out?  Thank you all so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Johnny Computer

Johnny Computer

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:16 AM

Hello Orangecross-

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

I hope you will all excuse my ignorance on technical matters! 

No excusing necessary Orangecross....That is what we are here for.   :)

I am going to suggest you follow the prep guide here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

and then post your topic here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

The symptoms you are describing could easily be caused by malware or adware infections and because you have so many different devices and users connecting to this network and your desire not to have to reformat without assistance it would probably be a good idea to have your system looked at more carefully.

Please note that the forum is very busy and the average wait time for a first response is 5 days but all topics will be picked up and addressed.

Also, when creating the requested logs choose only 1 computer, preferably the one that is most heavily used or most directly connected to your internet source, and post the logs for just the 1 system..

Good Luck   :)

Edited by Johnny Computer, 11 May 2015 - 10:21 AM.

avatar591802_2.gif"DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users