Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think I have malware on macbook pro

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Verochka89

Verochka89

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:18 AM

Someone please help me remove this. I think the virus tries to redirect me to other sites and fails. I get an error message saying the sites I'm going to have invalid certificates and to "get me out of here."

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 seedy21

seedy21

• Malware Response Team
  • 742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:38 AM

Hi Verochka89

I'm afraid the tool's we use in the section are created for Window Operating Systems and will not run on a Apple Computer. I do know of a Tool we can try to see if it detected and remove this issue.

AdwareMedic

Please download AdwareMedic from Here
  • Go to your Downloads folder in Finder and double-click AdwareMedic.dmg .
  • You will need to Drag and Drop AdwareMedic.app into the Applications Folder.
  • Once this has been completed, click on Applications folder, then double click AdwareMedic to open the Application.
  • If you get a Window asking you If you would like to run the Application click Open.
  • Next screen will ask you if you would like to donate to the program, I will leave this up to you if you would like to do so.
  • The program will check for updates, Once this has been completed, click Scan for Adware.
If you get the screen No Adware was found, this means the program can't see infection.
If you get the screen Adware detected, make sure all is selected and click Remove Selected. If the software asked you to reboot, please do so.
Once your machien has rebooted I would run AdwareMedic again and click Scan for Adware to make sure it has successfully removed the infection.

“It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.”
― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

unite_blue.png

#3 Verochka89

Verochka89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:20 AM

Thank you Seedy21, I think that helped get rid of a bunch of adware. One question though, Is adware and Malware same thing? My problem comes from one particular site that I play a game on, I play Castleville legends on facebook, when am on facebook I have a gray lock next to the site address, but when I go to the game app the locks turns to a gray triangle with an exclimation point in the middle. Should I worry about it? The game it self wasn't working for a few days rescently and im not sure what I did to get it working again but its working, but im afraid of that warning sighn by the address.Everything else is working. After I ran adwaremedic,I also deleted my firefox profile and started a fresh one.

#4 seedy21

seedy21

• Malware Response Team
  • 742 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:02 AM

Hi Verochka89

One question though, Is adware and Malware same thing?

It depends how you look it. Here is a quick some up of the Definitions:- 

Adware - software that automatically displays or downloads advertising material.

Malware - Is a general term for software programs designed to damage or do other unwanted actions on a computer system.

I would class Adware as a type of Malware, but you can also class Viruses, Rootkits, Worms, Trojan Horses E.T.C as malware as they have all been created to damage or do unwanted actions with your machine.

I play Castleville legends on facebook, when am on facebook I have a gray lock next to the site address, but when I go to the game app the locks turns to a gray triangle with an exclimation point in the middle. Should I worry about it?

When you connect to Facebook all of the data you send to them is encrypted, when you leave facebook and play a game the data isn't encrypted. This is just firefox warning you that your data is no longer encrypted.

Have you tried playing the game on another Browser like Safari or Google Chrome to see if you get the same issue?

unite_blue.png

#5 seedy21

seedy21

• Malware Response Team
  • 742 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:47 AM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.

In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days.

Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users