Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Headphones and speakers.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 techgnostic

techgnostic

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:51 AM

I'm not sure if this is an OS problem, or a hardware problem.

I'm using Windows 7 on an HP Elitebook 8560p to play games with friends.  I keep running into a huge problem.  The computer is arbitrarily splitting up the different sources of sound (Steam chat, game, browser, etc) and choosing to send some to speakers, and some to my headset.  While playing SWTOR with my friend and chatting over Steam, he was coming through my headset, but the game was coming through the laptop speakers.  This is a raging huge problem for me, since the speakers are blown on my laptop.  So my laptop is making a buzzing sound when there is supposed to be noise, and the game is effectively on mute (this makes gaming very weird).

I've googled this hell of out this problem, but to no avail.  Please help me before I freak right the hell out.  It's driving me nuts.

Kyle

Edited by hamluis, 11 May 2015 - 01:42 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:55 AM

Kyle,

It sounds like there may be more than one problem. The audio moving back and forth between speakers and headphones might be the sound card or a poor connection. If the speakers are shot then there's no need to worry about them - just replace them.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 techgnostic

techgnostic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:25 PM

It doesn't move back and forth, it stays in whatever method it is arbitrarily assigned to.  Replacing the speakers is infinitely harder than it sounds.  First they cost money, and then I lack the knowhow to replace laptop speakers (unless you were suggesting I pay somebody to replace them, in which case back to point one).  Even if I could replace them, though, that wouldn't solve the problem.  I'd still have the problem of wanting the sound to come through my headset, but suffering from the problem of the computer arbitrarily appointing the speakers for some of the sounds that I, its supreme overlord, demand are sent to the device that I want it sent to.

More information I forgot to add: I had previously fixed this problem by just disabling my laptop speakers.  Not only is this not working, but now if I ever try that I can't open up my mixer because Windows is telling me that that there is no sound at all coming from any device, and attempts to diagnose it (and we all know that Windows has never had its diagnostic tool to anything that even resembles problem solving).  If I check everything out in my control panel, the sound bars next to the headphones show no sound, even while using Steam chat successfully to talk with my buddy.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:22 PM

I found this on microsoft answers site:

"this is really a reply for other people. i realize you posted this forever ago so yea. but for anyone having this problem, go to your start menu and in the run search bar type in realtek hd audio manager. if your computer doesnt have this then i dont know what to say, but im pretty sure this is on all windows 7 computers, anyway, when its open pick the "device advanced settings" option in the upper right corner. when it opens there should be two options, pick the one that says, "Seperate all input jacks as independant input devices" then click ok and the window will close. then click ok at the bottom of the main menu and you will should be good. hope this helps"

QuintonWillis

Let us know if that works

#5 techgnostic

techgnostic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:38 PM

I don't have that :c

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:52 AM

When it happens gently move the head phone jack around in its socket, it the sound moves even more then the connections in the socket is the problem.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 Highjinks

Highjinks

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:25 PM

From what it sounds like you just need to adjust the default output audio device in the SWTOR audio options. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users