Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer keeps randomly freezing

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 harrylutz

harrylutz

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:10 PM

hello!

ive been trying to solve this problem for the past few days and am yet to make any progress on resolving it.

Randomly, no matter what program im using, my computer has started to randomly freeze for a good 10 seconds. i noticed this started happening a couple days ago while i was recording some guitar with a music program ive been using for years. i did a windows recovery role back to an earlier date when everything was fine, and unfortunately the problem remains.

can anyone help me get to the root of this? im really hoping my hdd isnt about to go bad.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ParkersPC

ParkersPC

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:32 PM

Random freezing could be a result of CPU usage and RAM usage being maxed out.

Go to your msconfig, disable unwanted processes on startup.

#3 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:33 PM

Welcome,

Before the HDD checks, take a look at temperatures. Any dust [or dust bunnies] inside a case can cause overheating which may cause shut downs [the computer's self protection]

Desktop or laptop? All drivers current? OS up to date? Security program installed, current and scans current?

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#4 harrylutz

harrylutz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:43 PM

Random freezing could be a result of CPU usage and RAM usage being maxed out.

Go to your msconfig, disable unwanted processes on startup.

not the case here. cpu and ram levels are fine

#5 harrylutz

harrylutz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:45 PM

Welcome,

Before the HDD checks, take a look at temperatures. Any dust [or dust bunnies] inside a case can cause overheating which may cause shut downs [the computer's self protection]

Desktop or laptop? All drivers current? OS up to date? Security program installed, current and scans current?

Dick

yes, everything is up to date for windows and for my machine. i cleaned out the inside of my case as best as i could, but the problem remains.

how do i look at my tempuratures? im on windows 7, desktop.

Edited by harrylutz, 10 May 2015 - 08:46 PM.

#6 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:53 PM

good morning to all,

i had a similar problem last week with my pc

in my case the problem was with  the cpu cooler 

the cooler was not sitting  properly on the motherboard (intel socket 1155)

i have tried to remove the cooler but two of those very tiny plastic pins broke so i have installed a new cpu cooler and the problem is gone

#7 harrylutz

harrylutz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:17 AM

good morning to all,

i had a similar problem last week with my pc

in my case the problem was with  the cpu cooler 

the cooler was not sitting  properly on the motherboard (intel socket 1155)

i have tried to remove the cooler but two of those very tiny plastic pins broke so i have installed a new cpu cooler and the problem is gone

thanks for the info but im not sure thats my issue. if there was a cooling problem wouldnt that be reflected in the cpu temp? i checked my temps with speedfan and everything is in the normal ranges.

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:26 AM

If temps are in the normal range they are not usually the problem

Dick E

#9 harrylutz

harrylutz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:27 AM

so i did a hdd analysis withe the s.m.a.r.t. tool in speedfan. and it seems there are some major problems:

SERIOUS ISSUE : your hard disk has 129 reallocated sectors. Hard disks do have spare sectors (usually from 256 up to 2560) used to replace bad ones. This remapping operation is transparent to the end user. Anyway, this can lead to degraded performances (because remapped sectors are in different places of the disk than the original ones and the head needs additional moving). If reallocated sectors grow over time, you might encounter some serious troubles. A backup of the most important data is suggested anyway.

BLOCKING ISSUE : your hard disk has 24519 pending sectors (this value is very large and your hard disk should be replaced). Those are sectors that couldn't be properly read and that the hard disk logic is waiting for a write operation to try to remap to a spare sector (if available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to have available spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won't be enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.

BLOCKING ISSUE : your hard disk has 24840 offline uncorrectable sectors (this value is very large and your hard disk should be replaced). Those are sectors that an offline scanning found as unreadable. Offline scanning is a process that can be automatically started by the hard disk logic when a long enough idle period is detected or that can be forced by some tool. Those unreadable sectors are identified and the hard disk logic is waiting for a write command that will overwrite them to try to remap them to spare sectors (if available). According to the Reallocated Sector Count attribute, your hard disk seems to have available spare sectors. A simple disk surface scan won't be enough to force the remap operation. You need a read/write surface scan to remap the sector. The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data.

so,
"The best option should be a tool that knows about what should be read from that sector so that it has some option to apply the best fix to the missing data."

is there something out there that will do this? instead of replacing my hdd

#10 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:32 AM

I'd run the Seatools by Seagate to get as much data as possible in locations where it can be backed up to another drive

If you can get a good image backup of the drive it will make the next steps easier and quicker

Then I'd order a new drive and install it. After that it's copy the image onto the new drive or install the operating system, do all of the updates and then reload all of the programs.

Dick

Dick E

#11 harrylutz

harrylutz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:41 AM

so basically theres no saving the drive? if i need to get a new hdd. id rather just save the few things i need instead of making an image of the whole drive. (i can live with just starting over again, i dont think its nescessary for me to back up everything in my case.)

#12 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:50 AM

Then save what must be saved and get a new drive and a fresh start.

Dick

Dick E

#13 harrylutz

harrylutz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:55 AM

yes i am. thanks for the help. one last question. how do i know which hdd to get? doesnt it have to be compatible with my motherboard? i have an hp h8-1360t.

i was looking to purchase this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236404

#14 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:17 PM

Here's a list of drives you can use

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03425388#AbT2

Depending on the OS you may need to do some formatting and partitioning.

Dick

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users