Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 gif ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:28 PM

Why is it that 7 will not play many gif's ?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:52 PM

It's because the default Windows Picture Viewer program doesn't natively play .gif. You have to other another program to view them, like Internet Explorer or a third-party program like IrfanView.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:55 PM

Which then begs the question....which browser are you using ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,238 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:43 AM

Hi thanks for the come backs!  I have a bunch of funny gifs that have been collected over time, shame they lose a bit not being active.  They were fun to pop into emails etc, I guess you win some lose some.  As to browser FF!

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:09 AM

Your .gif still works Phil, and they'll work if you open them in Firefox instead of the default Windows Picture Viewer.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:08 AM

I use IrfanView, opens fast and plays al types of gifs !

I find it idiotic to open IE or any browser for playing gifs...  :devil: 

OTT

Please ask Google why some of my links don't work anymore !

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:17 AM

Well, Internet Explorer or any third-party browsers allows you to use the program to open .gif without having to install another. So less programs on the drive, more space, etc.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:54 PM

You want the animated gif to function. The default file association for gif in Windows 7 is the other installed apps for viewing photos, like the Live Photo viewer, and others like the Office Viewer. If you want the browser to open them by default, you must reset the .gif entension.

Control Panel/Default Programs/ associate a file type or protocol with a program /Scroll down to .GIF, and highlight it, to then click the "Change" button, and choose the browser, (like FireFox)...or install http://www.irfanview.com/ as per O.T.T's suggestion and then change the association to point to irfanview.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 04:02 PM

Or you can right-click on a .gif file, select Open with... then select Choose a program and make sure the Associate this file type with the program box is checked and select your program. It works too.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users