Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reverse Image Search.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hunnybunny

hunnybunny

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:17 PM

Not sure if this is the right place for my question..

Can anyone recommend a good reverse image search engine? I've taken pic's of vintage items that I'd like to identify and research.

Edit: Topic moved from Graphics Design and Photo Editing to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,743 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:23 PM

The two search sites that come to mind for me are:

https://images.google.com

And

https://www.tineye.com

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:46 PM

If your images are hosted on a site or if the images reside anywhere on the Internet, you can do a Google search, and Google will return the exact matches as well as similar images.  

For example, you can right click on the pictures (avatars) on this page and select 'Search Google for this image" 

Here are the results of searching Google for your bunny avatar. 

#4 hunnybunny

hunnybunny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:55 PM

The two search sites that come to mind for me are:

https://images.google.com

And

https://www.tineye.com

Thanks Animal.

#5 hunnybunny

hunnybunny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:34 AM

If your images are hosted on a site or if the images reside anywhere on the Internet, you can do a Google search, and Google will return the exact matches as well as similar images.  

For example, you can right click on the pictures (avatars) on this page and select 'Search Google for this image" 

Here are the results of searching Google for your bunny avatar. 

Hi Stolen - they're not sourced on the internet, they're pic's I took with my phone and now on my PC.

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:01 PM

Google images lets you upload an image and it will find similar images, although similar doesn't always mean relevant. It identifies subject matter by colours and types of shapes in an image, it sometimes finds "similar images" which are about as far removed in terms of what the thing physically is as can be imagined. It will work for any image you upload, but if those uploaded images do not exist elsewhere on the internet then it will be even less accurate. The accuracy of the system improves over time, the more data google has pass through it the more chances for these algorithms to learn to spot patterns. Maybe one day you will be able to upload any photograph of something and google will be able to recognise it exactly. For now though I suspect that google's image processing algorithms will think that one vintage item (try with a picture of a know type of rare old vehicle or something) looks much like another.

Edited by rp88, 11 May 2015 - 02:05 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 hunnybunny

hunnybunny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:21 PM

Thanks for your imput rp88: I was able to find an Antique Furniture Value Lookup site which may be of help, but I'm also going to give Google images a shot as well. I think it's worth seeing if the query offers similar matches based on colours & shape types.

I realize now, after posting, that intuitivness is still in the early days mode and thinking further, I'm not sure I ever want Hal to read my mind. :alien:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users