Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help-firewall Settings Controlled By Group And Set To Off!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cazano89

cazano89

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 09:41 AM

I just recently finished a large PC cleaning effort and everything seemed good when I went to make sure my firewall settings were set to ON. The window has both options greyed out and the enabled setting is OFF. The wording at the top says "For your security, some settings are controlled by Group policy". I do not recall enabling any kind of group networking policy the would have influence on this but I am not sure. When I saw this, I hit the Restore Defaults button but the OFF setting did not change.

Please help!! This is a high traffic PC for my family and they are about to kill me since I have had it out of commission!

Thanks!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 01:19 AM

Which firewall are you using?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Roniez

Roniez

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:24 AM

Which firewall are you using?
Cheers,
John

Sounds like XP firewall....

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:10 AM

FIREWALL OPTIONS GRAYED OUT:
Deploying Windows Firewall Settings With Group Policy
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...t/wfsp2wgp.mspx

When you use Group Policy to configure Windows Firewall, by default local administrators will be unable to change some elements of its configuration locally, using the Windows Firewall component in Control Panel. Some tabs and options in the Windows Firewall dialog box will be grayed out and unavailable, even for local administrators.

Troubleshooting the Windows XP SP2 Firewall in Your Home Network
http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-3016.html

If the options on the General, Exceptions, and Advanced tabs are grayed out, it means you are not logged on to the computer with a user account that has administrative permissions. A user with administrative permissions must log on to the computer to change the firewall options, or to change your user account to an administrative account.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users