Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office 2013 Excel freezes up way too often

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 larbec69

larbec69

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:27 AM

I was wondering if anyone knows a cure all or a way to fix Office 2013 excel from freezing up.  MS is useless LOL, I have re installed and repaired several times.  I can do a simple cut and paste sometimes or even just want to add a coulmn and it locks up and reboots

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,598 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:26 AM

How much RAM do you have? I didn't see your system specs.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:45 AM

Excel doesn't normally just freeze up. How big are the Excel files you are working on? How much RAM do you have installed? Do you have any other applications running in the background when you are working in Excel? Do you have any add-ins enabled? Are you working with any macros?

#4 larbec69

larbec69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:55 PM

How much RAM do you have? I didn't see your system specs.

Hi Rocky and thanks for asking. I have 16 GIGS and an I7 64 bit It's more than powerful enough. I'm not running any 3rd party software. I do run quite a bit with Macros and over 2 GIGS at a time but I can open a new sheet at times and go and out a little conditional formatting on it like =ISEVEN(2A) fill in 6 rows and 4 columns of numbers Go to copy and paste them in another column or even add a new column and it will freeze up and that particular will not open back up

Now here's where it gets a little weird "to me" I can take that same file or ANY file that crashes. Save it to a memory stick. Open it on my another computer that has Windows 7 Office 2010 Re save it with the same name, close it and then open it back up on my laptop which is Windows 8 Office 2013 and it will run fine until it decides it's ready to crash again. It may run for a week, 2 weeks or 10 minutes

I've had MS on the phone for hours and in my computer )-: fir hours and they gave no clue lol. Just so you know I have been working on hardware / software troubleshooting since computers were born and a controls systems integrator and this one has stumped me Any ideas is appreciated. It hasn't done it in a few days Can post some old error codes but they relate to the video drivers which are up to date and are fine. Actually , there was not even an issue with them.

#5 larbec69

larbec69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:57 PM

Excel doesn't normally just freeze up. How big are the Excel files you are working on? How much RAM do you have installed? Do you have any other applications running in the background when you are working in Excel? Do you have any add-ins enabled? Are you working with any macros?

Thanks for chiming in. Please read what I posted to Rocky and see if you have any other questions. My laptop us less than a year old. Nothing. Ekes running in the background

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:06 PM

If you take the spreadsheet and use it for a while on another computer, does it crash on the other PC? That would help determine if it's related to something on your PC or perhaps something the file itself.

Were the macros first written in a 32-bit version of Office or a 64-bit version?

#7 larbec69

larbec69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:34 PM

If you take the spreadsheet and use it for a while on another computer, does it crash on the other PC? That would help determine if it's related to something on your PC or perhaps something the file itself.
Were the macros first written in a 32-bit version of Office or a 64-bit version?

I've never had any excel file crash using 2010 so no All my Macros were written on a 64 bit machine either my 2010 or 2013. Both machines are 64 bit Desktop I7Core 16 GIGS RAM 6 months old But it will crash with no Macros sometimes on a new sheet. Now, u may have a book open with a Macros when it does crash. I'll pay better attention next time.

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:03 AM

I'm thinking it might be a compatibility issue. You don't seem to have issues with these spreadsheets in Windows 7/Office 2010, onlye Windows 8/Office 2013.

I've also seen cases where the macros don't get imported correctly, and then they either won't work or will crash a spreadsheet.

#9 larbec69

larbec69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:13 AM

I'm thinking it might be a compatibility issue. You don't seem to have issues with these spreadsheets in Windows 7/Office 2010, onlye Windows 8/Office 2013.

I've also seen cases where the macros don't get imported correctly, and then they either won't work or will crash a spreadsheet.

Thanks! 

#10 tkenny74

tkenny74

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:23 PM

I've got a bunch of users that all have Windows 10 and Excel 2013 and it freezes randomly and I've updated their Displaylink drivers (per other websites) and tried running Excel in safe mode and it still freezes.  None of them have any Macros running at all.  They all have 64 bit processors with 32 bit versions of Office 2013.  They could be fine for hours or minutes.  Sometimes it happens with 1 sheet open and sometimes with 5.  They won't be able to save their work or when they go into the "File" tab, the graphics will be messed up.  I've run anti virus scans on all of their laptops and they all come up clean with multiple different anti virus programs.  I'm just as lost as you larbec69!

#11 larbec69

larbec69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:31 PM

Not glad to see I'm all alone. I've learned to accept it and when it crashes in 2013 I open it in 2010 which runs fine. I like 2013 for the ability to copy and paste conditional formatting from a sheet to a new sheet vs a sheet within a sheet. I've also experience automatic calculations issues so I turn my sheets to manual. Sad MS knows they have an issue but no clue how to fix them

#12 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:48 PM

+1 for Office 2010  :wink:

I have a family member who makes (50-100 MB) PowerPoints with a lot of "extras" and PP 2013 freezes/crashes on a regular base where 2010 does the job without any problems.

Greets!

#13 huhugrub

huhugrub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:33 AM

I have the same issue with Excel 2013 (32-bits) and Windows 10 (64-bits).  Excel freezes randomly for input and scrolling around the sheets.  Fortunately for me, I can still click on the Save button, and everything is ok after closing and opening Excel again ... until next time that is.

Same machine and no problem like this experienced before the upgrade to Windows 10.  Previously Excel 2013 (32-bits) / Windows 8 (64-bits) worked without issues.

Edited by huhugrub, 22 February 2016 - 02:34 AM.

#14 tkenny74

tkenny74

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:12 PM

huhugrub,

After looking into things further, I have found that upgrading to Office 2016 has fixed most of the issues.  Although, I have seen where there are cursor lag issues in Outlook as well as cursor issues in Excel at times as well.  So, although it fixes the freezing and crashing issues, there are still more issues to fix.

#15 bob_m

bob_m

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:41 PM

I've got a bunch of users that all have Windows 10 and Excel 2013 and it freezes randomly and I've updated their Displaylink drivers (per other websites) and tried running Excel in safe mode and it still freezes.  None of them have any Macros running at all.  They all have 64 bit processors with 32 bit versions of Office 2013.  They could be fine for hours or minutes.  Sometimes it happens with 1 sheet open and sometimes with 5.  They won't be able to save their work or when they go into the "File" tab, the graphics will be messed up.  I've run anti virus scans on all of their laptops and they all come up clean with multiple different anti virus programs.  I'm just as lost as you larbec69!

I have the exact same issue with 3 users.  We tried Excel 2016 and the problem remains.  We did notice that key board short cuts will sometimes work in order to save the file when the File menu is not displaying correctly.  I was wondering if you had any further information?  BTW, the problem users all have Dell 7250 lap tops.  Thanks  Bob

Edited by bob_m, 12 April 2016 - 05:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users