Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware (I think) question....switch on button working on and off

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 coral67

coral67

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:00 AM

Hi,

I think this is a hardware issue, my old 6 year old Dell laptop has a problem with its switch on button....sometimes it works and sometimes not. I guess it's age. Sometimes I can't switch it on when the button refuses to work.

My question is, rather than sending it for repair to Dell, can I just leave the laptop sleeping instead of switching it off completely? when I close the lid it goes to sleep, then wakes up when I open it, that avoids having to use the switch on button.

I know some people that NEVER switch their computer off, but is it a good idea?

Please can you advise?

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 10 May 2015 - 09:32 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:20 AM

Two schools of thought, I used to leave mine on 24/7.  I had one Unix office machine that ran from 1986 to 1993 until its HD failed, it was used by my secy and three other brokers eight or more hours seven days a week.  Now all my stuff gets shut down when not in use, started sometimes 5-6 times a day.  It does not hurt leaving it on, it is more a matter of choice!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:18 AM

The only problem with leaving it on all the time is that there are important updates which cannot be installed without restarting the computer.

I don't know the make and model of this computer, but of the laptops I've seen have a daughterboard which the power button is installed on.  I had to replace this on my wife's Toshiba laptop.  You usually can find these online for $5. - $10., but there is a fair amount of disassembling to replace it.

If you post the make and model I'll see what I can do about finding one for you.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 coral67

coral67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 12:40 PM

Thanks for both your replies, I too was wondering about how to deal with updates.

My laptop is a Dell Studio 1747, bought it in 2009. If you need other info, let me know. Thanks for your help.

Isabella

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 01:11 PM

The power button is a 222FR Power Button Board.  You will find these boards simply by Googling the information in bold.  These run around $20. US dollars.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,162 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:58 PM

I handled the updates by simply clicking restart no need to turn off.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:03 PM

That's true, I had forgotten since It is very rare that I use this option.

#8 coral67

coral67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:05 AM

Thanks to both of you.

@dc3

Thanks for the info on the button....but then how do I open the machine and change it?....are there instructions online somewhere? I searched but couldn't find much.

Forgive my ignorance: what is a daughterboard? I know of the motherboard, but the daughterboard?

@OldPhil @dc3

my machine is set up so that it turns off completely after the windows updates, in windows updates settings I can't find where to change this.....can you point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

Isabella

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:31 AM

Doing a quick Google I was able to find a video for a Studio 1749 where the power button is replaced.  This is close to what you have, it will give you a good idea of what you would be getting into.

As for the laptop turning off after updates.  I would need to know how you have the power options set.

Go to the Control Panel and click on Power Options.

In the upper right portion of the window you will see a list of options, click on Choose what power buttons do.

Once this is open take a screen shot and post it in this topic.

How to make a screenshot

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot. 

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png 

#10 coral67

coral67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:39 AM

Thanks for the link to the video.....hmmmm....looks VERY complicated to me, I wish I could fly to California to you and get your help....

As for the power options here's the screenshot you asked for.

Attached Files

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,162 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:00 AM

I think you are confusing with at shut down windows saying wait do not turn off power while it configures updates, it will do the same function upon a restart.  Al little more to see how to do it, it is pretty easy the key is take your time study the movies use the tools they do. 

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dell+studio+1747+disassembly

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:02 AM

Isabella, this has the potential of being overwhelming to the uninitiated.  The video shows parts be disassembled and removed, it would be easy to break one of the parts if they are not removed properly, and there is no way to learn how to do this short of getting hands on experience.  There all sorts of things that aren't mentioned in the videos, like there are different length screws on the bottom side of the laptop which will need to be remove.  These different length screws will need to go back into the holes they were removed from.  If you aren't careful removing a ribbon cable connector you can bend a pin on the motherboard.  And the list goes on.  

The question here is how old is this laptop.  Is it worth investing around $100. US dollars to have the power button replaced?  Or would you be better off investing that money in a new laptop.

#13 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:20 PM

You should be able to download the service manual from ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_studio_laptop/studio-1747_service%20manual_en-us.pdf. It will have step by step instructions on disassembling the laptop including the size and number of screws for each component.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 12 May 2015 - 12:21 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#14 coral67

coral67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:28 PM

Thanks all for popping in.....but I am a newbie when it comes to disassembling computers....I'm afraid I'll do more harm than good :(

@dc3

I'd probably be better off buying a new laptop for sure, but you said you could change my power settings in order to prevent the laptop from turning off after updates, for example, could it just restart in order to finish the install rather than shut off completely?

I posted the screenshot you wanted, I don't know if it's what you wanted to see or not, please let me know?

Thanks

Isabella

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:23 PM

I did not say that I could change your power setting in order to prevent the laptop from turning off after the updates.  I asked for the screenshot so I could see how the settings where arranged.

Open the Control Panel from the Start Menu and click on Windows Update.

In Windows Update, click on change settings.

Under Important Updates, select Download updates but let me choose whether to install them. This will give you the control on when to install and restart if required.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users